Quick question about 2000+ PBR front calipers...

reddy351

10 Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Ok. I'm getting ready to put the springs/dampers on my car, tomorrow. I know that I have to remove the calipers from the spindle to drop the control arm. I have a pair of dual piston PBR calipers from a later model Mustang. (Not Cobra. I have those too, but they won't fit under the waffles. So I have to wait.) I was thinking I could put the PBR's on the car, for now, and then swap to the Cobra's later. My question is: What brake hoses do the PBR's require? I have the braided ones that I'm going to use on the Cobra's. Are they the same? If so, that would be cool. I could get some better brakes (with some really good pads I bought a while back) that still fit under the 16" GT wheels. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, then. What is the opinion on whether it is a "zero gain" swap. Keep in mind I am using the OE brake pads, currently. The PBR's (bought for a different project) have VERY good (aftermarket) semi-metallic brake pads in them, already. I guess I'm trying to find a use for some good parts that I have laying around. (Bleeding brakes is not what I would call a huge issue. Even ABS.)

i went from stock calipers, and nothing speacial pads/rotors to pbr brakes, hawk pads, slotted rotors, and SS lines and noticed a huge difference. was def. worth while to me.

you do have to grind some of your spindle for them to clear though, incase you already didnt know. :nice:

I would not call the 99+ PBR non-cobra swap worthless.

sure they are not cobra setups...but no one is claiming that.

stock calipers are heavier cast iron vs. 99+ alum. PBR (still a performance caliper brand)

stock calipers are 1 piston vs. 99+ 2 piston

the 99+ pbr will fit alot more rim choices than the cobra sadly...or I would have cobras now.\

99+ PBR setup will outperform the stock single piston setup.

All for about 1/4 to 1/2 the price of a cobra setup on the norm.

does not seem so worthless to me

However, he also mentions he has Cobra brakes ready to go on whne he upgrades the wheels. I personally wouldn't go through the hassles of modifying brakes, to install them, then bleed them if I was going to upgrade again later.

For aquick fix of better braking now I would just swap pads... But hey, that is just me...

Very true since he has both sitting around.

$hit or get off the pot in regards to the cobras....put them on or sell them.

You will be better off putting on the cobras you already have and selling the 99+PBR's. If you need new pads until you get 17in rims that will clear the cobras just do that in the mean time with the stockers already on there.

Pads are actually not OE. I took them off and looked at them today, when I did the spring/damper swap. They are a carbon metallic (upgrade) pad. The springs and stuff took longer than I planned, so I didn't get to the brakes. I did drive the car and it seems like the brakes stop better than they did before. I guess the struts were a lot worse than I thought. I'm still up in the air about the non-Cobra PBR's.

I wish I could just buy the tires for the wheels and just get the Cobra's on. $$$ is just a small issue, right now. The calipers sure are pretty, sitting in my basement, though. ;)