Quick Question about MAF and Injectors

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
Will 30 lb injectors and a Pro-M 75 mm MAF that was originally on a 95 GT fit my 98 GT? I'm not sure if the connectors and all are the same, or if the OBD-I vs OBD-II is different or anything. Just checking. Also, what's the stock MAF size on a 98 GT?

On an unrelated side note, I rode out to Fastlane today, and that is definitely who I'm going to get to tune my car. I talked to Taylor (I think that is right) up at the desk for a while this afternoon, and those guys seem great. Very friendly, very helpful, and considering some of the cars sitting around, I'm assuming that they know their stuff. I can't wait for spring break and getting this supercharger on.

• Sponsors (?)

Uhm, you don't need either of those items. You won't gain one bit of power....period. If you want to get your car tuned thats one thing. But don't think that either those injectors or that MAF (or any other MAF made for that matter) are going to provide even the slightest benefit for you at the level your sig says you are at. Don't waste your time or money.

If you are planning on supercharging at some point, then you should probably go with a set of 42# injectors. Most kits come with injectors that are sized to your kit anyway. Those 30# injectors would be the bare minimum on a base kit with no room to grow at all.

BTW, the 4.6 stock size MAF is 80mm, until you peg the voltage on it, stick with it.

Ok, I should have specified. I'm going supercharged with a FRPP/SVO blower at 6 lbs of boost. Shooting for low 300s hp. Not really looking to ever go more than that. So if they will do for my application, and I can't find a good deal on anything bigger than that, then it's probably what I'll go with. It's a pretty good deal on the MAF and injectors.

I talked to my tuner today and he said that I would most likely max out the stock MAF. If the stock is 80 mm, why is there an aftermarket 75 mm one? That doesn't make much sense. If it is the case, then I'll look elsewhere.

From what I've read, the 30 lb injectors are good for close to 400 flywheel hp, which is a good bit more than I'll be making. 30 lbers are what come with the installation kit for this supercharger, so I assumed that they would be enough for my application. And I've seen some guys on here at or very near 300 rwhp on the stock injectors (naturally aspirated).

your stock maf will flow more. aftermarket maf's are programmed for specific injector sizes. if you are going supercharged use your stock maf and 30# injectors and get a professional tune or use sniper and on O2 on a dyno.

Will 30 lb injectors and a Pro-M 75 mm MAF that was originally on a 95 GT fit my 98 GT? I'm not sure if the connectors and all are the same, or if the OBD-I vs OBD-II is different or anything. Just checking. Also, what's the stock MAF size on a 98 GT?

On an unrelated side note, I rode out to Fastlane today, and that is definitely who I'm going to get to tune my car. I talked to Taylor (I think that is right) up at the desk for a while this afternoon, and those guys seem great. Very friendly, very helpful, and considering some of the cars sitting around, I'm assuming that they know their stuff. I can't wait for spring break and getting this supercharger on.

nice!! i work 2 shops down from them!

the MAF size doesnt matter that much. basically the way a MAF works is there is a thermosistor inside the MAF that wants to stay at a certain temp. as the air blows by the MAF it cools it off, the computer sends more voltage to keep it at that temp. when people are "pegging" a meter it means the thermosistor is being cooled so much the 5V (full output from the PCM) wont keep it from being cooled too much.

the SCT meters are all the same size physically, the thermosistor is different than the stock ones.

that may not make sense when i type it out, but thats how it works:eek:

maybe this is better

How it works:

The ECU supplies a voltage to the meter which heats up either a small wire (Platinum filament) or element (Platinum film resistor) to a certain temperature. The wire or element sits in the incoming air stream and is consequently cooled. The ECU needs to maintain the temperature of the wire by applying a higher or lower voltage/current. The greater the cooling effect of the incoming air, the higher the voltage that is required to heat it. This varying voltage forms the basis of the signal back to the ECU which is used to calculate the engine’s ignition/fuel system requireme

your stock maf will flow more. aftermarket maf's are programmed for specific injector sizes. if you are going supercharged use your stock maf and 30# injectors and get a professional tune or use sniper and on O2 on a dyno.

you will not max out a stock maf at 300rwhp. if you are going to boost it big go with a better maf.

Yea, I got that. The guy at Fastlane said that they could easily calibrate any MAF for any injector size, so I'm not too worried about that. He also said that I would almost surely max out the stock MAF. So, I have a conflict of info on my hands here.....I may just wind up getting a Lightning MAF; they're on Ebay right now for $90 shipped. Also seen some Cobra injectors (39 lbers) for about $130. I haven't decided yet. Regardless, I'm not going through with the Pro-M and 30 lb deal (he's selling them together).

nice!! i work 2 shops down from them!

the MAF size doesnt matter that much. basically the way a MAF works is there is a thermosistor inside the MAF that wants to stay at a certain temp. as the air blows by the MAF it cools it off, the computer sends more voltage to keep it at that temp. when people are "pegging" a meter it means the thermosistor is being cooled so much the 5V (full output from the PCM) wont keep it from being cooled too much.

the SCT meters are all the same size physically, the thermosistor is different than the stock ones.

that may not make sense when i type it out, but thats how it works:eek:

Yea, I asked him if he knew you. Ben, right? After visiting today, I'm surely getting my tune there. He also said that my buddy with the black Mach 1 was there earlier today. Small world.

Good info on the MAF. I didn't realize all that. I still don't know what to do. It seems like I'm on the border of needing/not needing a MAF. I'm kinda leaning towards Taylor's advice and going ahead and getting one.

Yea, I asked him if he knew you. Ben, right? After visiting today, I'm surely getting my tune there. He also said that my buddy with the black Mach 1 was there earlier today. Small world.

Good info on the MAF. I didn't realize all that. I still don't know what to do. It seems like I'm on the border of needing/not needing a MAF. I'm kinda leaning towards Taylor's advice and going ahead and getting one.

yea, thats me:D

if you are buying a MAF, get a 90mm LMAF and when you peg that meter add a MAFia. you will never max the MAFia!

i'd get the injectors just to be on the safe side. doesnt someone sell a 42 lb injector and LMAF combo kit??

doesnt someone sell a 42 lb injector and LMAF combo kit??

Yea, BuyFordRacing does, but after a lot of the stuff I've seen here lately, I'm not planning on going with them.

I do believe I'm going to go ahead and get the 39/42 pound injectors; I've seen/am seeing sets of em on Ebay going for like $120-$130, with only a couple thousand miles on them. If I watch long enough I can probably get some cheaper than that.

I'm still thinking bout the MAF. There's a new LMAF on there for $90 shipped, which is the cheapest I've seen anywhere. I'll probably go ahead and do it right the first time over; that way I know I won't have any problems when I go to get my tune, and it does leave the door open should I choose to go with something else in the future (i.e. smaller pulley/methanol, or a small shot).