Quick Question On Installing Cams

Ivan

Apr 30, 2013
Im about to install my stage 2 comp cams and idk if I should get better pistons or keep my factory ones. My car has 160k miles so idk if I should get new pistons or not, any help with this?

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have forced induction? Are you on the verge of making 420-450hp? If not then I would not touch the pistons (unless you need them notched for said cams) These cars are very immune to the mileage factor if taken care of a well maintained. When I pulled my factory shortblock apart to the mmr 4.75 in, I didn't even have to have the block bored the cylinder walls were in such good condition (actually the whole motor was)and it had 100k miles on it. The material newer engines are made out of seems to be far superior to 1960s.

You can just have them fly cut for PTV clearance. I wouldn't be oppossed to a bearing re-fresh/hone/re-ring.
Iv'e seen many o many an engine with super high hours have just new/dif pistons/ rings/ no hone, no new bearings just thrown in and work just fine running rated for hours. Theorectically it's a thing that shouldn't be done, but in reality it sometimes works fine. Exceptions can be made more often than one thinks, but then something silly can thrash a whole engine like a mixed up rod cap or a yeilded bolt.

Idk man. I think if you have the money for the work to get new pistons, you should definitely do it. Especially if you got some dome pistons. Idk what you consider stage 2, but Jumping up the compression will double the power difference you'll feel rather than just adding the cam. I don't know if your on a budget or not but Part # KB116 would probably do some justice. T6 Hyperuetectic for $335 plus $30 for rings. Premium Gas only though.