quick steer on 66 Mustang

Fredo

Nov 10, 2003
Byers,Co
I installed a new quick steer idler arm and pitman arm on my 66 Mustang. It has manual steering. I believe the quick steers came on the Shelbys. Anyway I installed mine and the steering now seems to be to close to the oil pan. At the same time I have done an AOD swap. Would doing the trans. swap change the angle of the driveline and put the steering closer to the oil pan or would changing to the quick steer components changed it? I believe this is going to rub as the steering is only about 1/8" from the oil pan. Has anyone been through this or know what I need to do to correct this?

• Sponsors (?)

I have the quick steer in 2 66's, one with a stock pan and the other with a canton 9 Qt pan. No issues with either.

As for the transmission changing the angle, I can't answer that directly. I did have my toploader out recently and at that point the rear of the motor dropped a little, so i put a jackstand under it and raised it a little until I was ready to put it back in.

That said, if your transmission doesn't sit exactly the way the old one did, you angles could have changed. Did you use your old mounting insulator or go with a new one?

I have found out that my engine was not level and the right side was lower that the left and was off by about 1/4". I shimmed up the right side motor mount a quarter of an inch and it now has clearance for my steering. It still comes close to hitting the starter, but that is only while turning to the right.
Hopefully it will be ok now.