Ram Air hood scoop from mach1 2003 on a fox?

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
anyone know if you can put the ram air hood from a mach1 2003 mustang into a 1992 fox mustang i think it would look great is it possible to install on into a fox?

• Sponsors (?)

Might work but look at this instead. Find a 79-83 scoop off a Gt or turbo coupe. They have forward and rear facing scoops and can be bolted to a fox super easy. And they are already contoured to a fox hood! no sanding. Im in the process of it right now. Im putting a forward facing on my 85gt and going ram air with a 1x1.5 ft hole in the hood under the scoop. Later.
Joe E.

Like I said, I dont know about the newer hood scoops. They are conformed to fit a new stangs hood. Our fox body cars dont have the same hood shape. Thats the beauty of these stock scoops Im refering to. Go to www.foureyedpride.com. Look around at the early 80s picts and search for scoop. Or check ebay under 79 mustang etc and you should see one. Good Luck. You have an email addy? Ill try to get a pict to you of one. later
Joe E.

is there anywhere to buy it i dont see it on partshoppers new site??? also do you know a site that sells the kit and not the shaker unit becuse i have a mach1 shaker unit but not the rest to hook it up.

Okay agreed it may look nice, you might want to take a look at 5.0Resto's Mach 1 LX Vert for an accurate shot of what it might look like. However, the fact still stands that Ram Air on a daily driven car is useless. Nascars use ram air thru the cowl because they travel at speeds of 200+ in a certain banked race course. There is an article on the web if you search for it through google, it may even be on this site. Search for Disspelling The Myth of Ram Air....Actually here is the link right here www.vetteguru.com/ramair :flag:

The newer ram air set up from the Mach 1 isn't a hood scoop per se. It fits on the top of the engine, routes air to the factory filter box and from there it passes to the throttle body like normal. It simply sits through a hole in the hood. So theoretically, you could make it work without any hood contour issues. And you'd see the scoop 'rock' as the engine torqued. Anything can be done - I suppose the real question is are you willing to undertake the time/resources necessary to make it work, and is the vertical clearance available sufficient.

As for other ram air choices, there are plenty available, although for street use most folks complain of them picking up large amounts of debris. As a practical matter, they only become effective at providing some HP gain at speeds well above the legal limit, so it migh help a bit over the last 400 ft. or so in the 1/4, but not much more effective than a simple cold air set up on the street, in the 1/8th or on an autocross course. They can be helpful on road courses where higher average speeds usually occur. I'd simply be sure you're picking up as cold a source of intake air as you can. If you insist on a scoop, I'd mount it with the opening to the back. This will allow hot underhood air a place to easily escape the engine compartment, and should facilitate even better airflow across the radiator because it has an easy place to exit the compartment.

Despite being well intended, unless they're very carefully designed to direct air into the intake, or across an intercooler, most forward facing hood scoops act as little more than a huge, drag-producing parachute - probably doing more harm than good. Not to mention that they distribute water all over things that probably shouldn't be bathed in water if it can be avoided. But they do look sporty...