Drivetrain Ram Sucks

91gte303

Mar 3, 2015
Lake city,SC
well,i have had the Ram HDX clutch kit installed for 44 miles to be exact. by 20 miles,the throwout would make a noise every so often. now at 44 miles, the throw out bearing sounds like i have a damn cricket farm living under my car. funny enough,they are in columbia. just an hour away from me. they will be seeing me very shortly.

Advice for others.........dont buy this clutch kit. maybe their others are good. but this is f*ckin unacceptable. 40 miles and im looking at replacing my NEW throw out bearing with a NEW throw out bearing.they cant claim it was installed wrong by me. I PAID a professional shop to do it for me. they even warned me this might happen. but i figured it was just their preference.

btw, i also installed the steeda kit with the quadrant, adjustable cable and fire wall adjust. came out good. all i can say about them...
hook a punk up with an instruction pamphlet... and for sh*t sake,dont put those little plastic nipples on the end of the cable,where you gotta put it in the firewall adjust. had to file them off before it would go in. out side of that,no problem.

• Sponsors (?)

just got done reading their warranty.....what a joke.
" RAM Replacement Sets are warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles (Whichever occurs first) against manufacturing defects when installed in an unmodified in any way, factory stock passenger car used exclusively for daily transportation. No warranty is offered for commercial, off road, street performance, or racing use."

seems they know they produce crappy parts. why sell a performance clutch,give it a warranty and then tell said customer that basiclly they warranty was fake..."have fun with that pile we just sold you!!!!" *as you hear laughing and high fives in the background*

There should be no slack it the clutch cable. If there is the throwout bearing will rattle.

Clutch adjustment
Do the clutch adjustment first before considering any other problems. With the stock plastic quadrant and cable, pull up on the clutch pedal until it comes upward toward you. It will make a ratcheting sound as the self adjuster works. To release to tension of the stock quadrant, use a screwdriver to lift the ratchet paw up and out of engagement with the quadrant teeth.

A binding clutch cable will make the clutch very stiff. If the cable is misrouted or has gotten too close to the exhaust, it will definitely bind. The binding common to adjustable cables is often due to misplacement of the adjusting nuts on the fork end of the cable. This will also cause the cable to wear and fray. Both nuts should be on the back side of the fork so that the domed nut faces the fork and the other nut serves as jam or locknut to the domed nut.

Clutch pedal adjustment with aftermarket quadrant and cable: I like to have the clutch completely disengaged and still have about 1.5” travel left before the pedal hits the floor. This means that I have only about 1” of free play at the top before the pedal starts to disengage the clutch. Keep in mind that these figures are all approximate. When properly adjusted, there will not be any slack in the clutch cable. You will have 4-15 lbs preload on the clutch cable.

Adjustable clutch cable tips:
Loosening the cable adjustment nut (throwout bearing arm moves to the rear of the car) moves the disengagement point towards the floor.

Tightening the cable adjustment nut (throwout bearing arm moves to the front of the car) moves the disengagement point towards the top of the pedal.

The quadrant needs to be replaced if you use any type of aftermarket cable or adjuster. My preference is a Ford Racing quadrant, adjustable cable and Steeda firewall adjuster. The adjustable Ford Racing cable is just as good as the stock OEM cable. It allows a greater range of adjustment than a stock cable with a aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster. Combined with the Steeda adjuster, it lets you set the initial cable preload and then fine tune the clutch engagement point to your liking without getting under the car.

Using a stock OEM cable, firewall adjuster and a single hook quadrant may result in not having any free pedal travel before the clutch starts to disengage. I found this out the hard way.

See Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts l 800-230-3030 for the following parts.

Ford Racing M-7553-B302 - Ford Racing V-8 Mustang Adjustable Clutch Linkage Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com Cable and quadrant assembly $90

The Ford Racing Adjustable cable is available as a separate part:
Clutch Cable, Adjustable, Ford, Mercury, 5.0L, Kit FMS-M-7553-C302_HE_xl.jpg

[url=http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-555-7021/]Steeda Autosports 555-7021 - Steeda Autosports Firewall Cable Adjusters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Steeda firewall adjuster. $40

ford-racing-mustang-v8-and-v6-topside-clutch-adjuster-79-04-161-m-7554-a.jpg

Fix for the quadrant end of the cable popping out of the quadrant when installing a replacement cable courtesy of Grabbin' Asphalt
imag0825-jpg.85883

Help for those who have replaced the clutch assembly and are still having problems with adjustment:
The next step doesn't make much sense it you already have the transmission installed, but just for sake of discussion, here it is:

The throwout bearing sits in the clutch fork arm with the wave springs pressing on the rear flange of the throwout bearing.
throwout-bearing-placement-in-clutch-fork-arm-gif.532058

Major differences between the distance between the flywheel surface and the clutch fingers may require tinkering with the clutch fork pivot ball. Stack your old pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel up like they were when installed in the car. Tighten down all the pressure plate bolts and measure the distance between the clutch fingertips and the flywheel face.
Too much thickness will cause the clutch fork arm to sit too far back to get the clutch cable on the quadrant. It may even sit against the rear or the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm. In that case, reduce the pivot ball height.
Too little thickness will cause the clutch fork arm to sit too far forward and bottom out against the front side of the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm.. This will prevent the clutch from fully disengaging.
In other words, the clutch fork arm should sit positioned midway or a little towards the rear in the bell housing hole for the clutch fork arm when the cable is properly tensioned.[/url]

Attachments

• Throwout bearing placement in clutch fork arm.gif
    Throwout bearing placement in clutch fork arm.gif
    33 KB · Views: 969
Last edited:
i have it set to where it has only about 1/4-1/2" of pedal movement before there is pressure on the pedal. did it like that because is i adjusted it to the point that there is constant pressure on the pedal,it would only disengage and engage very high in the pedal travel.

Did you replace the clutch fork? because the two fingers on the fork that holds the throw out bearing in place would also cause the sound. It's a good ideal when adding a performance clutch to replace that because if it's bad/old you will not get the right preload on the throw out bearing and it will cause the sound you are hearing and it will cause a rattle and vibration from the shifter.

I had a bad experience with ram about 4 years ago. I installed the same kit and made one trip to the track, on street tires. It was done after 4 passes.

I just installed another ram kit a few months ago, after the transmission manufacturer recommended a particular ram clutch for my setup. I have about 1500 miles and 7 track passes on it so far, with no Issues so far.

I think it can be a roll ofnthendice, but i agree with the post above, make sure you rule out any other problems before you try to file a claim.

Joe

I have a Ram HDX clutch too. The rear ring on the throwout bearing basically fell off in my hand. I just tack welded it back on. It has started to chirp though. So, I'm not impressed with the throwout bearing, but the clutch does well for what it is.

Wow that sucks. Been about 15 years since I replaced a fox body clutch but even back then RAM was known as crap. Always had good experience with King Cobra, Spec, and Centerforce clutches with MM cable kit /Steeda firewall or Fiore firewall adjuster. Make sure to replace the stock plastic self adjuster on the pedal. PITA to do/