Engine Ran fine, cleaned throttle body, blows sweet white smoke now.

Driver460sz

5 Year Member
Jan 14, 2019
New Hampshire
My car would died out once in a while when I can down to a roll. I heard it could be a dirty throttle body. So I pulled my throttle body, cleaned it, put a new gasket on and reinstalled. Now the car blows white smoke and runs terrible. What happened???? Did the EGR lossen up and that gasket find a leak, did something get by and create a block, did I lose a spark plug. It was a great running caer with just the one minor problem. Now I can't drive the thing.

Please help!

1986 Fox with the OG 302, 5.0, efi.

• Sponsors (?)

Pulled the TB off and cleaned it. Put it back on and white smoke poured from the exhaust. Pulled the TB back off and put a new gasket on it and reinstalled. Idle was good, ran strong, but overheated within 7 miutes and the car died out. Eventually got it home after if cooled down as I was only 500 yards from the driveway when it sputtered and died.

Filled the radiator as it was pretty empty. Couldn't find any leaks, no smoke, no wierd smells, but overheats quickly.

Any ideas what happened, what to do, next steps? I am at a loss.

Air in the cooling system, jack up the front of car as high as possible, squeeze the bottom hose several times, start engine and squeeze the bottom hose several more times as the engine heats up, this should push air pockets into the radiator, be careful not to get caught by the fan or belt and the hose will get hot.

Air in the cooling system, jack up the front of car as high as possible, squeeze the bottom hose several times, start engine and squeeze the bottom hose several more times as the engine heats up, this should push air pockets into the radiator, be careful not to get caught by the fan or belt and the hose will get hot.
Tried this. Ran at idle, added what eneded up being 1.5 gallons. After about 15 mins at idel the car came up to midway on the temp gauge. Didin't appear to have ANY water coming through. I could compress the hose entrily and didn't feel any water. Non the less, I went for a short drive. Kind of just circled around my house for about 15 minutes and the temp never went above midway. Bottom hose never got warm but the top hose was hot. Opened the rad and the coolant was cold. Not sure why nothing seemed to cycle but the car never overheated, even after about 25-30 minutes or run time. I plan on trying the hose squeezing method again and see what happens, then go for another 15-20 drive....... odd, no?

Last edited: