Re-use Ford's Lock Bolt for Differential Cross-Pin?

Eulers

Oct 12, 2010
Hello Diff Experts. Is it significantly risky to re-use the original Lock Bolt for the Differential's Cross-Pin? With LocTite I would add upon reinstallation?

I used a 6-point 5/16" wrench to remove the Lock Bolt. It is the original Ford Lock Bolt and it only has been removed this once. Removal took some firm pressure at first but unscrewed with no fuss. The drive faces of the head of the bolt are still sharp & in good condition. The rear end has over 150,000 miles on it.

My only other alternative in my local area is a Dorman 81048. However, I am not so convinced of Dorman's quality. I fear a new Dorman would break/shear upon future removal before the re-used 1987 Ford Lock Bolt would.

Are there flex fatigue cycle concerns from the Cross Pin that would have me discard the Ford original Lock BOlt?
THanks

Application: '87. All stock. All original. 8.8 rear. TractionLok. Street duty only. Lock Bolt brand is Ford. Lock Bolt vintage is 1987.

• Sponsors (?)

I reuse.

the cross pin is not torque to yield. It’s only torqued down to prevent it from backing out. It’s body is in shear to keep the cross pin from backing out, and the cross pin isnt really in load trying to eject itself from the diff.

short of overtorquing it, it should easily hold up to any abuse thrown at it.

I have always used the old ones as well. However a couple years ago when I rebuilt my rear on my Saleen, I replaced it with the new one that came with the clutch kit. Only thing I didn’t replace at that time was the axles. After ~200k the drivers side started seeping gear oil. I Bought some replacements axles last month. This weekend I decided to swap them. Stupid pin broke at some point. Took me a couple hours to get the piece out today. I’m putting the original one back in tomorrow when I button it up.

I reuse.

the cross pin is not torque to yield. It’s only torqued down to prevent it from backing out. It’s body is in shear to keep the cross pin from backing out, and the cross pin isnt really in load trying to eject itself from the diff.

short of overtorquing it, it should easily hold up to any abuse thrown at it.
Good point - it's not torque to yield. Thanks!

I have always used the old ones as well. However a couple years ago when I rebuilt my rear on my Saleen, I replaced it with the new one that came with the clutch kit. Only thing I didn’t replace at that time was the axles. After ~200k the drivers side started seeping gear oil. I Bought some replacements axles last month. This weekend I decided to swap them. Stupid pin broke at some point. Took me a couple hours to get the piece out today. I’m putting the original one back in tomorrow when I button it up.
Interesting. THanks for sharing your experience. Looks like I will be reusing the original Ford bolt. Thanks..

Reactions: 1 users
In my opinion, I do not think it is any different than reusing any other bolt on the car. I put the new one in my car when I rebuilt the rear minus new axles. It had maybe a little over 20K miles on it when I changed the axles shafts out only to find the new bolt had sheared internally. It did not allow the pin to come out so that was good. I put the original bolt back in when I put it back together.

Reactions: 1 user
I've reused my original bolt without locktite quote a few times.

There was when i installed 3.73's around the year 1999. Then when i did my original 5-lug drum swap around 2001 i had to pull the pin to swap the axles. Then around 2009, i did the same thing to swap to the 5-lug disk axles.

Pretty sure I just pulled the pin, and reinstalled it.

I have seen so many broken ones that I do not like reusing them
If there is no wear and the black color is all still there, you should be okay to reuse it
If you have ever has to sacrifice a case to gat a broken one out... You would vote replace