Fox re-wrapping wires

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
For you guys that re-wrapped your wire harnesses… what different sizes do I need, and lengths... also what brand/type did you use? Want something better then the cheap brittle plastic. I want to remove all the old dirty/greasy stock stuff and redo it.

• Sponsors (?)

I just used generic wire loom. All seems to be about the same. 3/8" or 1/2" and some bigger sizes.

For electrical tape, use the 3M stuff. The other brands tend to lose their grip over time or when cold. The 3M stuff is a bit more expensive but works the balls.

I am in the process of redoing my harness
I did a little bit of research on what is best to use and I found Tessa tape works great I Purchased it from Amazon
They have different versions some as felted and used inside the car to cut down on rattling noise the other is a cloth like Matt tape design for higher temperatures and chemical resistance inside the engine compartment it’s supposedly used on hiring in European cars anyway I think it works better than standard electrical tape even the good stuff like 3M super 33 or super 88
After removing all of the stock fox body loom the hardest part was removing the hardened electrical tape or use a quality razor knife and after about six hours had the fuel harness completely stripped down and recovered much more flexible than it was
pretty satisfying job
Here are some pics
30-year-old 89 fox body injector harness stiff as hell feels like solid strand wire
A7E8F82E-7CCD-4807-B743-804EA625DE8D.jpeg

Here is everything stripped down that was the toughest part the old heat shrink tape was hard as a rock very difficult to cut off without nicking insulation on wire
51CBDCD5-5F4C-4AD7-A98A-EC8523072FEE.jpeg

Here is the finished product
My fingertips are sore but it was worth it
5E40F576-A56C-43D7-B792-C0F5FD6DE619.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
I did a little bit of research on what is best to use and I found Tessa tape works great I Purchased it from Amazon
They have different versions some as felted and used inside the car to cut down on rattling noise the other is a cloth like Matt tape design for higher temperatures and chemical resistance inside the engine compartment it’s supposedly used on hiring in European cars anyway I think it works better than standard electrical tape even the good stuff like 3M super 33 or super 88
After removing all of the stock fox body loom the hardest part was removing the hardened electrical tape or use a quality razor knife and after about six hours had the fuel harness completely stripped down and recovered much more flexible than it was
pretty satisfying job
Here are some pics
30-year-old 89 fox body injector harness stiff as hell feels like solid strand wire

Here is everything stripped down that was the toughest part the old heat shrink tape was hard as a rock very difficult to cut off without nicking insulation on wire

looks nice, I just order a 5 roll pack of that tape from Amazon yesterday....

Reactions: 1 user
pretty satisfying job
Here are some pics

Nice job!! How many rolls did that take for that harness? Trying to figure out how much to order. Thanks.

pretty satisfying job
Here are some pics

Oh man none of this looks fun! Great job for you guys that did this. I’ve been considering at some point doing a wire tuck and running an all new wire set up like the American autowire kit. Would that be crazy, pointless etc. I’d like to clean up the engine in the future if and when I repaint the car and figured if it’s old brittle wiring, then you make it even harder to reach by tucking it, wouldn’t it make sense to update all the wiring. Honestly don’t even know what that would entail besides a bunch of bucks.

Nice job!! How many rolls did that take for that harness? Trying to figure out how much to order. Thanks.

I got two rolls of the engine harness tape and one of the felted (quiet) tape.
That was easily enough for everything in the engine compartment
I mostly just wrapped it up with the braided split loom and used the Tessa tape for the ends and branches.
This harness is going to the 1965 fastback EFI conversion basically a hot rod car will see very little miles (not daily driven) if it were a daily driver I would probably wrap the wires with non- adhesive wire harness tape (to protect from water) then cover with loom.

Here is the main harness before and after pics
96EDCDCB-3F97-47B0-AE40-70A38172E399.jpeg
60067B9D-C420-44F0-8B74-7D50CD6324CB.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users