REAL Hood Pins, Racing Stripes, and More - Oh My!

nancegt350

Sep 22, 2006
I'm new so ...

First of all, my name's Justin, and I'm a stangoholic.

This week I'll be installing the FRPP Hood pin kit on my '06 GT...wish me luck. I thought I'd post and see if anyone had advice. I'll be following a great instruction write up per:
http://www.mph-racing.com/tech/05MustangHoodPinInstall.pdf

Also, I'll soon be doing the racing stripe thing (we all go through that phase right?!) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on that. I noticed that:
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com
has a really good selection of pre-cut vinyl stripe options for the 06's. Actually now that I look at it ... that looks like Stangnet's very own tom281's mustang they have as an example (if it is I'd like to know how they turned out) ...anyway...Was thinking of doing this myself (I'm really picky) - also was thinking of having them painted on. So ... here's my options:
  • Lay Vinyl myself - $150
  • Have Professional do it - $350 (with parts $ labor)
  • Have Professional Paint them - $???
What do you guys think?
(Oh and as a side note, check out the exhaust : http://www.ninosport.com/IMCO-Extreme-Axle-back-2005-06-Mustang-GT-55506
if you haven't already - absolutely incredible. :hail2: )

• Sponsors (?)

I installed the same set and did it much differently. I removed the 2 outer hood height adjuster bumpers. They just screw out. I took a dremel tool and enlarged the holes just enough to fit the nut and flat washer supplied in the FRPP kit down inside. Then, with the help of a small screwdriver I threaded the studs into the nut and washer which is inside the rad support and temporarily snugged the lock nut down. Lower the hood and make sure the studs are centered to the spot on the underside of the hood that the bumpers used to contact. If not, loosen the studs and center them.

Use a hole saw (3/4") and drill through the hood but first check the angle you need to drill by lowering the hood to the studs and looking from the side of the vehicle because it ain't straight up, it's a slight angle.

Carefully lower the hood and allow the studs to go through to check for them being centered in the holes in the hood. If they are off a bit, just adjust the studs by loosening the lock nuts. I did not use the bottom plates supplied in the kit. Make sure the hood is closed when positioning the top plates for final placement. Drill small holes for the plate screws and tighten them down. The final position of the studs should have the lock pins installed on an angle like the driver's side pin should point from the outer edge of the fog light towards the front wheel center to keep the pin as level as possible.
As far as adjustment goes, you'll have to continually loosen the studs and with the aid of a screwdriver to keep the inside nut still (inside of the rad support) raise or lower the stud until the desired stud height is achieved. You'll want just a little tension on the pin when they are slid into the stud hole. This can take a while to adjust properly. You can use a stack of rubber washers on the studs to get the hood aligned with the fender height. I just used an old bushing and cut it to size on each stud. Use your imagination.

Something else I did was use a piece of 3/4'' heater hose which I custom fit to go between the 2 hood layers and glued them in on each side with 5 minute epoxy. They are actually glued to the top and bottom layers of the hood to keep water from getting inside of the hood. Water will drain right through to the rad support. The heater hose also tightens up the hole in the top while looking at it.

Keep the little lock ring lubed where it fits in the pin because they will rust from what I've heard. The ring is only plated.

Installing hood pins on these cars is not easy. Take your time and think things through.

Anyone who has done the stripe install...please post on how you install on the bumpers please! I've installed saleen stripes and others, but not on creases like the bumper has. Shops want $700-800 for them installed and I would preferer to save that money for other mods. Thanks for your help!