Really Confused Here...

5oundbit3

Oct 17, 2015
So the previous owner installed a kills witch by wiring the positive and negative wires through the inner car to a switch and then to the trunk and cut the metal of the bottom of the trunk under the spare tire out and wired it to the four wires there. They started a fire in the car once but when I got it it was okay it seemed. Now when I activate the switch it makes a "yur yur yur" type mechanical electric sound like the trunk is trying to open but that's not it I dont think because its faint and coming from under the trunk. Does anyone have a video or advice on whats happened here and what to do to fix it?

• Sponsors (?)

So the previous owner installed a kills witch by wiring the positive and negative wires through the inner car to a switch and then to the trunk and cut the metal of the bottom of the trunk under the spare tire out and wired it to the four wires there. They started a fire in the car once but when I got it it was okay it seemed. Now when I activate the switch it makes a "yur yur yur" type mechanical electric sound like the trunk is trying to open but that's not it I dont think because its faint and coming from under the trunk. Does anyone have a video or advice on whats happened here and what to do to fix it?
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG

There's so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start. Wrong wire type, undersized wire, etc.

Looks like the fuel pump is rigged somehow. If you don't flip the switch, can you start and drive the car? I believe they hard-wired the fuel pump directly to the battery.

they hacked the :poo: outta that. looks like they tried to do a fuel cut off swtch.
if it was mine id get it wired back to factory spec.

That first pic with the fuel pump looks like a returnless pump installed (no return line and it bolts down, not the lock ring) where the fuel gauge sender normally is.

The wiring is scary. Surprised you have not caused a fire in there (nicked wire insulation, exposed connections, poor routing of wires).