Really smart 4.6 guys> Trying to identify cams...

Back2Mustangs

Sep 2, 2004
I bought a '96 GT today and the guy gave me the PI Heads and intake he had to go on the car. He also gave me a set of what he said were aftermarket cams that he got in a parts trade.

One cam has this number stamped on the sprocket: F7LE-6256-AA (RH)
The other cam has this number stamped on the sprocket: F5AE-6256-AD (LH)

I looked these numbers up on line, and I couldn't find an exact match, but this is all the data I could find about part of the those two numbers:

4.6 Litres 281 SOHC Romeo
16Valves, Block F4VE, Head F5AE (Crown Vic, Gr. Marquis, Town Car)

4.6 Litres 281 DOHC
32Valves, Block F6LE, Head F7LE, RWD (Lincoln Mark VIII)
32Valves, Block F8LE, Head F7LE, RWD (Lincoln Mark VIII)
32Valves, Block F8OE, Head F7LE (Continental)

Question #1) Does Ford put the model of the cam on the sprocket, or is that the number of just the sprocket?
Question #2) Could these be regrinds, if they are "Aftermarket?"
Question #3) Do people use cams from Crown Vic/Gran Marqius/Continental/Mark VIII cars?
Question #4) Or are these two cams just mismatched crap and I should toss them out??

Is it worth my time to take the cams to a shop and have them tell me what the LSA and lift is on each? Aftermarket cams run around $500 for the set right? Anyone have a clue or experience in this area?

• Sponsors (?)

you can diagnose the part number some what. Since you don't know anything about them I would assume nothing.

F5AE-6256-AD
F- 1990's
5- 1995
A- Full Size Ford
E- engine engineering group

6000 series basic part number is engine parts. (notice 6256 is probably the cam or sproket)

AD is the umpteen quadrilanth revision on this part. The A at the end of the number indicates that the part is the first version. If it was revised once, it would be B. If it was revised again, it would be C, and so on. When they run out of letters, it becomes AA, AB, and so on.

F7LE-6256-AA
F- 1990's
7- 1997
L- Lincoln Mark series and regular 4-door Lincoln
E- engine division

6000 series basic part number is engine parts. (notice 6256 is probably the cam or sproket)

AA is probably like the 27th or around there revision on this part. Again, the A at the end of the number indicates that the part is the first version. If it was revised once, it would be B. If it was revised again, it would be C, and so on. When they run out of letters, it becomes AA, AB, and so on.

So we really don't know if this is the sproket or the cam :shrug: I hope this helps a little. I would just order some VT cams and slap em in while the heads aren't in yet. That's my opinion.

krly79 said:
you can diagnose the part number some what. Since you don't know anything about them I would assume nothing.

F5AE-6256-AD
F- 1990's
5- 1995
A- Full Size Ford
E- engine engineering group

AD is the umpteen quadrilanth revision on this part. The A at the end of the number indicates that the part is the first version. If it was revised once, it would be B. If it was revised again, it would be C, and so on. When they run out of letters, it becomes AA, AB, and so on.

F7LE-6256-AA
F- 1990's
7- 1997
L- Lincoln Mark series and regular 4-door Lincoln
E- engine division

AA is probably like the 27th or around there revision on this part. Again, the A at the end of the number indicates that the part is the first version. If it was revised once, it would be B. If it was revised again, it would be C, and so on. When they run out of letters, it becomes AA, AB, and so on.

So we really don't know if this is the sproket or the cam :shrug: I hope this helps a little. I would just order some VT cams and slap em in while the heads aren't in yet. That's my opinion.

:jaw: :eek: :crazy:

you sure know a lot about part #s

NO KIDDING!

crew_dawg16 said:
:jaw: :eek: :crazy:

you sure know a lot about part #s
I started reading and was like "Holy Crap!" I wonder...is that a cut and paste job or did you just pull that out of your head??

The only other numbers on either one of the cams (I haven't tried taking the spockets off and looking behind there yet) is on the opposite end, and one says 9A2, the other says 0A :shrug: If these are aftermarket cams I'd like to save that $500 and see what the spec's on them are, and who made them...I'm hoping you're right about the numbers being the sprockets... maybe a Ford dealership could pull the numbers and tell me specificly what it is? Maybe the cams are something aftermarket with just these two Ford sprockets bolted on? Its hard for me to be sure, but the teeth count, spacing and valley/peak height look to be identical between both sprockets. The only difference, visually, is that one has 8 holes around it, and the other is solid. I would take some digital pics, but I don't think that would get us anywhere...?

Part numbers on cams...

I'm having a hard time getting the bolt loose on these sprockets...any hints or tips on how to bust the nut (hehe:D) loose w/o harming the cam-ie: place sprocket flat in bench vise? And before I do...someone know for sure if the part number is usually on that side of the cam(where the sprocket bolts to it) or not???? :shrug:

the cam # should be in the middle of the cams. The number you read out is the number for the sprocket. If yo put it in a vise the you will more than likely mess the sprocket up. I would put some rags over the sprocket and clamp it in a vise and get a long breaker bar because that bolt is torqued over 100lbs.

tangerine said:
the cam # should be in the middle of the cams. The number you read out is the number for the sprocket. If yo put it in a vise the you will more than likely mess the sprocket up. I would put some rags over the sprocket and clamp it in a vise and get a long breaker bar because that bolt is torqued over 100lbs.

I decided not to mess with it. I wrapped them back up in that brown paper they came in and put them back in the box... I looked each of them all over>> each end, and on the sides of each lobe, and on the shaft between each lobe...nothing. I'll take them to someone that can measure the lift and LSA and dur. Thanks, guys for the info though... I'm a few steps closer anyways. :)