Fox Rear Brakes - where in the holly heck do these go?

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
Can someone tell me where these (2) C-washers go on the rear brakes? I've watched the video on LMR, which doesn't show these at all, I have the 1990 Ford mustang shop Manuel on CD, which doesn't show them (really I'm disappointed in there rear brake info, they only really show a picture with it all together not a exploded view), and i looked in my Haynes (which doesn't really show much detail either...) After 7 years I'm finally putting the rear brakes back together, have all new replacement everything...

I've circled them in the attached picture.

Attachments

• rearbrakekit_LI.jpg
    rearbrakekit_LI.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Sponsors (?)

It's been a while since I've had one apart, but it seems those go behind the wheel cylinder...? I remember seeing something like that in that location when I tore the brakes apart forever ago but they didn't come out.

Edit: the more I think about this, the more I think it was part of the pivot pin at the top of the backing plate, so I really have no idea where they go. :shrug:

Last edited:
The big lever that your parking brake cable hooks to has a pin that goes into a hole in the brake shoe, that horseshoe clip and sometimes a washer is used to hold it onto the shoe, you pinch it closed around the pin.

I dont remember messing with that piece when I did my brakes, but I found this pic. You can see the clip in question just to the right of the wheel cylinder.

1590589622960.png

This is the rear drum on a 67 fastback. Should be the same for the most part. Drum brakes haven't changed much over the years.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
hmmm, ok, that's kind of what I figured it was for the parking brake part... but on the LMR video... they just show it hooking in. and not putting any c-washer...
which is odd... it's been a few years since I ripped this all apart... I have to go find where I put those parking brake brackets, I know I blasted them and painted them up... I was just trying to get my game plan and everything ready so when I go out I can slap this stuff on... I'm kind of wondering if it's even used on my year fox, maybe it's just in the kit for early years... but at least I know what to look for... I'll go dig those brackets out and see if there needed or not.. thanks.

Even the shop manual doesn't even show it... and this is like the only picture they really show of the rear drum... was disappointed in that...

1590590290908.png

I got the one side on yesterday.... but as usual I ran into issues... can't put the new parking brake cables in with out removing driveshaft, so I had to take that back off...(seems like every time I go to put stuff back on, I have to take 10 steps back and take stuff off again) then I finally got the drivers side all done... (Now I remember how much I hate drum brakes...) well then I put the new drum on that I painted all up with caliber paint along with the calibers the other day... and lets say the paint don't look so good any more... it didn't seem to me like the drum was going all the way on to me... so I too the old pony rim and bolted it up... which that seems to seat it... but now I can't get the damn drum off... looks like when I painted the rear end all up, it didn't like the paint around where the center of the drum goes on... So now I have to fight with getting that back off today.. then I can do the other side...

oh... sorry, but any way... yeah, my year '90 is like that video, it doesn't use those c-washers... the parking brake doesn't have a pin, it has kind of like a hook that goes in the shoe.. so I guess they include it in the kit, I'm assuming the older models must use them.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had to use a large pulley puller to get drums off before. At one point I thought I was going to break the drum in half before it finally popped off. Under load I tapped it with a hammer and it came off. I hate drum brakes.

I've had to use a large pulley puller to get drums off before. At one point I thought I was going to break the drum in half before it finally popped off. Under load I tapped it with a hammer and it came off. I hate drum brakes.
unfortunately Advance or autozone don't have a puller big enough for loan.. I should of sanded off the paint around that hub mounting point... urrggg going to go out with propane torch in a bit and heat up the drum, hoping it will expanded enough...

It should not be that hard to take off, did you back off the adjuster? Can you turn the drum or not?
the adjuster hadn't even been adjusted yet... everything was new...

I got it off... even with the propane torch on it, the paint didn't burn at all.. I think the paint on the hub on the rear caused the issue... I wire wheeled it all off of that hub area the drum center goes on, and will coat with never-seez... now I can install the brake parts on the pass side.. but first I will make sure I remove the paint on that hub area first... damn... it's always something stupid that f's me over..

Reactions: 1 users