Rear Differential problems

Shaggydog2000

Oct 22, 2004
So I almost got into an accident the other day. It was raining moderately (well heavy for southern california), and I pull out from a stop light to turn left in my 2000 vert V6, I finish the turn, shift to second when I'm going pretty straight, hit a little gas, and my rear end swings back and forth like shakiras ass for a few seconds, and then I'm hydro-planing something serious. It was like I was on ice, but I couldn't have been going more than 15 MPH when it happened, and I was almost dead straight at the time! I slid all over the place until the thing hit the curb and took a good sized chunk out of my front passnger side rim. Thank god there was no one near me and no cars parked on the side of the road.

My tires are a few months old, with maybe 800 miles on them. The rears are Kumho ecsta HP4's (15 inch wheels). These are supposed to be well rated for wet driving. I could just chalk this up to one bad incident, but it never has any traction in the (occasional) rain. Also, coming around a corner once or twice in dry conditions, the rear end pulled left then right like I described above. Is there something wrong with my differential, is the limited slip messing up? I just had all the fluids changed, including the rear diff. So what do you guys think is going on with this car?
Should I take this to a mechanic, or is this just what stangs do?

-Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I'm not saying I floored it, just gave it a little gas. Rather slowly actually, like I said it happened after I was mostly straightened out. And what about the rear swerving now and then, that can't be normal right?

NOTE: The factory differential on our 6'rs is an open differential, meaning only the right wheel is spinning. Sorry to break it to you. So no limited slip thing.

I assume your tires are either 205's or 215's. So that is one part where you loose traction. Still, check your tire pressure.

It could be the asphalt. The first rain raises the oils from the asphalt and that can create a slippery surface.

Or it could be the driver. I drive mine in the snow (and cometimes ice), and manage the turns. So there is no reason for you to hydroplane.

yay, i remember that part about the rain loosening up all the oil and such from the asphalt when it starts to rain... my car seems to handel the rain pretty well, just take it slow... supposedly you wont hydroplane until 35mph...

I too have experienced the same problem here in sacramento california' lucky for me my results were less damage.I asked gemex A good friend of mine who has had several 6 mustangs and now a 10 th anneversary cobra and he says we are not shifting right. thouhg i will say myexperience was both fun and scary, I prefer going side ways in the cobra under safer controlled conditions.

I had the same thing happen to me before in a light rain. Goin slow, seemed to be fine and then kept turnin, without my foot on the gas. I think its partly the conditions that cause it, cause I know to be careful with it in the rain, and light rains are often times the worst becasue its just enough to pull the oils up from the asphalt but not enough to wash them away. I would check your tire pressure as has been said, and also your tread on the rears. My right rear was down to almost nothing, so you might want to get 'em rotated, or just new ones if its pretty bad wear.

Yeah, I could just chalk it up to the driving conditions, but the back and forth swerving of the rear end has happened under dry conditions too. It only happens when I'm turning, and it's at speeds that are not excessive, pretty much normal driving. One side seems to grab and jerk the rear one way, and then it jerks back the other way. I think it jerks to the left first, but I can't be sure. Is this a symptom someones seen before and does it mean it needs work?

Like I said the tires are good and almost new, just broken in really.

Shaggydog2000 said:
Yeah, I could just chalk it up to the driving conditions, but the back and forth swerving of the rear end has happened under dry conditions too. It only happens when I'm turning, and it's at speeds that are not excessive, pretty much normal driving. One side seems to grab and jerk the rear one way, and then it jerks back the other way. I think it jerks to the left first, but I can't be sure. Is this a symptom someones seen before and does it mean it needs work?

Like I said the tires are good and almost new, just broken in really.
The only thing I can think off that would make your car jerk, would be bumpy roads. Either poor quality roads, or old roads that have grooves in them. But you car should not loose traction as often as you said (given you drive normally), because it's not that powerful (no offense). My suggestion is to upgrade your wheels. A little expensive, yes, 17 inch wheels with 245 rubber might be a grand, but that would give you a lot more traction.

I could slide sideways a bit when I first got my shift kit and still had an open diff in the rain. A limited slip will only hurt you if you drive stupid in bad conditions. It does help traction tho as when going around corners in the rain, if a tires slips you can feel the other tire hook up and straighten things out. Then again if you punch it you'll just feel whatever you happen to hit first.