Rear Differential Vent Tube

65and68Stang

Apr 7, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Quick question guys...

Shouldn't you be able to blow through the rear diff vent tube valve?

0188.JPG

Mine is blocked completely off. I'm getting some leaking from another bolt of the differential tube and I'm thinking it because it can't release any pressure due to that valve being pressure-tight.

Thanks!

Kelton

• Sponsors (?)

When the rear end gets hot, fluids & everything expand, and moisture/condensation collected in the rear diff can boil or the fluid expand. Without the vent tuvbe, you would blow an axle seal or something, with the pressure increase... not good.
The vent allows this pressure, and vapour to escape. When I run mine on a Road Course, the Vent tube will actually puke a little rear end fluid out the rubber hose (just a touch), because the rear-end gets hot, and this is normal.
However, you should NOT be able to blow back into it.... where would the pressure go ? There should be a rubber hose about 4" long (approx) coming off of that vent fitting which should curve down towards the ground.
Make sure the Vent & hose function properly (ie. make sure Vent fitting is debris free) & clear).
Mach1steve
www.muggziperformance.com

Mach1steve said:
However, you should NOT be able to blow back into it.... where would the pressure go ?

Steve,

So are you saying there should actually be a check valve in the piece? Or should you be able to see all the way through it? I had already drilled it out with a small drill bit...did I jump the gun?

I have fitted a piece of fuel tubing to it, ran it upwards, then back down...all in all the tubing is about 12" long.

Thanks,

Kelton