Rear Disc Conversion

520Fox

Mar 29, 2020
yuma, az
So I already did the 5 lug conversion on my 87 mustang, and I wanna convert the rear drums to disc brakes. Does anybody have any good recommendations on any good affordable kits to do it, or a parts list i should buy to get it done.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll need mms brackets,a pair of calipers with brackets,soft lines,hard lines( easier than adapters)rotors,and pads. I believe you have five lug axles ? Now comes the part where some say you can keep stock booster/master and proportion valve, I say get new like 95 booster,master,and if you can get to a junk yard 94/95 mustang you can gut it's proportion valve and use that in yours.You do have a choice in rotors( size,vented,ect.)if you go cobra 11.65 inch vented rotors you'll need cobra caliperbrckets.

Which 5-lug conversion did you do up front? That will likely have a bearing on the recommended setup for the rear disk, as well as master cylinder recommendations

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Check out MPS Auto Salvage on Ebay. They are a Mustang-specific salvage yard in GA. They offer complete rear disc brake conversion kits. I've purchased Cobra front brake conversions, an IRS, and a complete 8.8 rear end from them. I've used all of those parts on my autocross cars for years and I've been very happy.

I'm about to dump all my GT parts soon if Summit ever ships out my Cobra brakes. Have a Master cylinder, booster, slotted rear rotors, matching Hawk pads, and the caliper brackets. You'll need to get calipers I can't guarantee the condition of the master cylinder and booster, since it has been out of the car since I put the manual brakes in years ago. Let me know if you are interested. Got the front brakes around here somewhere too with new calipers. Probably a little rusty, and those rotors aren't slotted. You'll need SN95 spindles and bearings.

Kurt