Rear disk, still 4 lug...

SuperDucky9

May 15, 2008
SW MI
Alright, so this would be my first post. I recently got my 89 GT off my brothers shop, and they were redoing it. The guy they got it from bought it brand new in 89, rolled it in 92, and it sat in his barn until we got it in January.
The guy converted the rear to disk, and its also an open-diff now too. Still an 8.8, still 4 lug..

Any idea what rear end he put in it?? I bought pads for a 87-88 turbocoupe, and they didnt work.. The modification was done sometime before 92.. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I bought a used 4 lug rear disk settup for my '88 vert a couple years ago.

It came off of an '87 McClaren Mustang. I haven't had to buy pads yet but I was told they are the same as the '93 Cobras.

Good Luck,
hope this helps

HMMM,
I watched them being removed from the McClaren at a friends Speed Shop. I thought it was an '87 but I can be wrong. I don't know much about the McClarens. I wonder now what year that car was.

The guy did tell me to use '93 Cobra pads. I guess I'll find out soon enough when that time comes.

Hopefully not the hard way.LOL

Hey, it stops good though

Pulled the wheel off and took some pictures. Ill be getting those up in a bit. Couldnt find any numbers on the calipers, but it did say VARGA on it. Is that the manufacturing company, or something significant?

Yes. They make the calipers for the sn95 and the turbo coupe,

You sure the Turbo coupe pads didn't fit? I am not aware of any other 4 lug setup using varga calipers unless it's a modified sn95 setup for 4 lug

Pretty sure. Dont know how to word this, but the pads we pulled off the calipers were equal length to each other. The pads to be put on were larger and one was about an inch smaller than the other...
And yeah, the set i bought was for the rear disks of a 87 turbocoupe.

Pads should look like this

HB-580.627HPS_LG.jpg

Yep, definitely didnt look like those. haha. Well, ill take mine back, and hit up MM. I like dealing with them, although their shipping time seems to be a bit long. Of the 2 or 3 orders ive placed with them, it took 2 days to just process the order, then almost 4 days of shipping.. not counting the weekend.

After looking at Superduckys pics I removed a rear wheel and looked at mine.

(Same brakes). Thanks guys you confirmed what I was told when I bought the brakes. '93 Cobra/'87 Turbo coupe it is.

Superducky, You will enjoy the extra stopping power of these brakes over drums. "I have"

Couple extra things we did on my car to get the most out of them was: I bought an SVO master cylinder and gutted the GT stock proportioning valve. Then I bought a FRPP adjustable proportioning valve and mounted it on the firewall brakelines.
On the front you can upgrade your calipers real cheap by using SVO/Crown Vic 73mm piston calipers. These are less than $50 each at Autozone and use the same pads and rotors as your stock parts.

I did all this to my '88 and really was a great brake upgrade for very little money.

Mine stops as good as my stock SSC brakes.

Good Luck