Rear end '68

CrisNavarro

Apr 29, 2020
Spain
Hi everybody! I am working in my Mustang '68. I bought it with this Cutlass wheels (will be replaced) and here is my rear end. Somebody knows if is from Ford or GM? Thanks in advance!

IMG-20190719-WA0097.jpg
IMG_20200713_194032.jpg
IMG_20200713_194051.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

How many bolts holding rear cover on?
Is there a tag?
Have mounting points been cut off?
Such a dirty lump its hard to tell.

8.8s positive traction rear ends are what came in fox body mustangs. At this point I've got to give a disclaimer. I tinker on cars and work on my fox and 65. There are guys on here that are actual mechanics and hot rodders. Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will take notice of this thread and step in. 200 for a decent 8.8 doesn't sound bad. I'm going to assume that you plan to rebuild what ever you get anyway. Thats what I would do before installing it as you have no idea of its internal condition.

As for installing it in a 68. I dont know. I think people do it. I would encourage you to search around for information on that specific swap. A quick glance at this old thread makes it sound like it is doable, but you need to make sure you know what you are getting into. Depending on what the 8.8 came out of can create some problems. According to this thread.

@horse sence do you know anything about this swap?

What is in the car currently and why are you wanting to make the swap?

T
8.8s positive traction rear ends are what came in fox body mustangs. At this point I've got to give a disclaimer. I tinker on cars and work on my fox and 65. There are guys on here that are actual mechanics and hot rodders. Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will take notice of this thread and step in. 200 for a decent 8.8 doesn't sound bad. I'm going to assume that you plan to rebuild what ever you get anyway. Thats what I would do before installing it as you have no idea of its internal condition.

As for installing it in a 68. I dont know. I think people do it. I would encourage you to search around for information on that specific swap. A quick glance at this old thread makes it sound like it is doable, but you need to make sure you know what you are getting into. Depending on what the 8.8 came out of can create some problems. According to this thread.

Thank you, I will ask in this threah.

I saw where you posted a question in that old thread. You might get some action there, but its a really old thread so I doubt it. This thread will do. The classic section of this site doesn't see as much traffic as say the fox section, but there are some very knowledgeable people that frequent this section of the site. It could take a few days before you get more people chiming into this thread, but they will.

@wicked93gs might also be able to help with this question as well.

I saw where you posted a question in that old thread. You might get some action there, but its a really old thread so I doubt it. This thread will do. The classic section of this site doesn't see as much traffic as say the fox section, but there are some very knowledgeable people that frequent this section of the site. It could take a few days before you get more people chiming into this thread, but they will.

@wicked93gs might also be able to help with this question as well.
Maybe will be better open a ne thread

I haven't put any 8.8s in a vintage mustang...but on my last '66 I did actually have a 7.5" with rear disc from a Mark VII if I remember correctly? The 7.5 and 8.8 in the fox were the same width...you can fit a 8.8" from a foxbody in a vintage mustang, but the wheel offset will change(more dramatically for 65-66 than for 67-68) so if you do so...you may be forced to use later model wheels(which also means you will need spacers to use them on the front). One way around it is to shorten the 8.8", but then you get into custom length axles, etc. It really depends on what you need as far as strength goes and what wheels you are wanting to use with it. The best axle choice is going to vary from build to build. That being said...the 8.8" is an excellent choice if you need something that comes with factory LSD and rear disc brakes...but it will require work to properly fit a vintage mustang. The 8.8" you choose needs to be thoroughly researched as well.(If I were to do the swap myself, I would choose an 8.8" from an explorer, shortened on the passenger side, and using 2 driver's side axles, then run whatever spacers were required to correct the wheel offset....its the most well-known way to do it...but there are plenty of other ways. The best unit you could start with for example would be a 2014 Mustang GT 8.8"....since its new and easy to find, the clutch packs would be in good condition...the downside being that custom length axles would be required(pretty sure the explorer axles inner spline isnt the same as the late model mustang, but I could be wrong on that).

That being said, there are plenty of others out there that would be able to give you better details than me on the swap.

Reactions: 1 user

Never did this . I have a jig for narrowing 8 inch and 9 inch so i just narrow my own . I used to buy the lincoln town car disk assemblies for almost nothing and they were a simple mount

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user