Rear-end is STILL leaking after taking it back 3 different times!

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
So what should I do? It's leaking worse now that it ever has. Overnight it leaks about a 4in circle...in 4 days it leaks like a 10in circle. . They said it should't leak, and they replaced the yoke at no cost...I knew I couldn't trust that. Time to go to the BBB.

What are you guys' suggestions?

EDIT removed shop name, shop is attempting to repair at no cost to the customer EDIT

• Sponsors (?)

Is the rear end differential case/cover leaking? If so, why not just drain the fluid and do the rtv the right way! If that's not what's leaking, my post is useless. :flag:

http://www.reesetiresupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=43

Just get rid of the regular gasket.. Make sure your diff cover is flat where it seal, and clean up the area around the seal on both the cover and the rear end. The when you use te rtv (black) make a 1/8th inch bead the whole way around, make sure your going arounds the bolt holes on the inside. The fill it back up with synthetic mobile1/redline/royal purple with friction modifier. It takes like 3 1/2 quarts or 2 pints but add he friction modifier first.

they replaced the yoke?

sounds to me like it was leaking out the pinion seal, thi is going to be my guess on what happend here

1. f you brought it in for the leak, and they probally replaced the pinion seal

2. second time they probally found excessive wear on the yoke and repalced the yoke.. or did they do that the thrid time..

my guess is they did not get a good seal on the cover, if it has a gasket get rid of it now.. ford shiped these cars with a RTV gasket, and any paper gaskets cause leaks.

A thin bead of RTV run around the outer rim of the pinion flange (yoke) seal before it's installed will help to prevent leaks from that area, but the amount of differential fluid loss you're experiencing sounds like an improperly intalled seal to me.

my .02 is they are stupid. you can jack by the pumkin all day long if you want to as well. I have never created a leak that way. I have jacked every car I have ever owned buy the pumkin.

it is either the pinion seal or the cover seal. most likly it is the pinion seal and they did not want to take the time to replace it.

I persnally use a papper gasket with very light coat of rtv to hold it in place. makes the clean up on replacement easier than just rtv by itself IMO. Some like just RTV but that ususally take me a it longer to clean if replacing the cover.

if they replaced the yoke and not the actally pinion seal they they are just lazy IMO. If a pininon seal is leaking you need to replace that no matter what and you would only replace the yoke if there was a grove or damage.

hognutz said:
my .02 is they are stupid. you can jack by the pumkin all day long if you want to as well. I have never created a leak that way. I have jacked every car I have ever owned buy the pumkin.

it is either the pinion seal or the cover seal. most likly it is the pinion seal and they did not want to take the time to replace it.

I persnally use a papper gasket with very light coat of rtv to hold it in place. makes the clean up on replacement easier than just rtv by itself IMO. Some like just RTV but that ususally take me a it longer to clean if replacing the cover.

if they replaced the yoke and not the actally pinion seal they they are just lazy IMO. If a pininon seal is leaking you need to replace that no matter what and you would only replace the yoke if there was a grove or damage.

i highly doubt anybody would replace the yoke for free without having put in atleast 1 new pinion seal..

they put the free yoke in because it leaked after they did the pinion seal, this guys car has very high mileage there is a chance the yoke had a groove where the seal rides.

but it's also very possible they damaged the surface where the seal attaches to the housing. it's very easy to scracth this surface when they removed the original seal.

I must live by an airport because most of the stuff you guys are starting to say is going right over my head. Anywho, I think I get the gist.

They replaced the yoke because it had a warp in it. The seal looks pretty new, but when I get back from Mexico I'll get pics of it. It'll be Thursday before I can get you guys any pics. Thanks for all the help guys!

svttech said:
but it's also very possible they damaged the surface where the seal attaches to the housing. it's very easy to scracth this surface when they removed the original seal.

i agree check to see if they didnt mess up the housing while they where taking the front pinion seal off cause even after its been replaced it would still leak..... Seen it happen before but on a trans output shaft, it would leak but it had a new seal but after popping it off swa a big deep gash on the seal housing. So have them check it :shrug: just my thought though

If I remember correctly, jacking on the pumpkin doesn't cause a leak (well, it may, but that's not the primary reason for not jacking on the pumpkin).

It's a no-no because ford designs the rear-end with a slight bow to it, so there is a slight caster (or camber.. I can't remember which).

If you jack on the pumpkin, it can throw this off and throw your rear alignment off.

Riley