Rear end noise

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
I notice that my 08 Bullitt has a low pitched squeel noise from the rear when I make a sharp left of right turn a low speed, such as to turn into a parking space.

Is this the traction lok unit? Is this normal, or does it need a bottle of Ford Friction Modifier?

• Sponsors (?)

its an 08 take it to the dealer , doesnt sound right to me. i have 07 w/ 4:10 gears and the only noise i ever hear is on Deceleration my one gear spinning fast makes slight noise but i think cuz gay ass ford racing gear was made by motive but owell, i make turns all over and ive had no noise.

Your rear end should be quiet unless the pinion is out of alignment or whatever.

Mine made noises at a cold startup when I backed out of my spot, but I put Royal Purple in there and it went away. I had a different noise however.

Your '08 needs to go to the dealer. No reason to spend money to try to fix it yourself when it could be something that needs replacement anyhow.

if they have to replace your gears see if you can pay a little to upgrade to 4.10s

some gears make noise regardless like motives and some ford racing gears have been made by motive and i believe i got that batch o well, sucks but hey i kno my sound isnt a mechical problem cuz i know the different, i got royal purple fluid in my rear end as well.

RD, you sure it's not just your tires squealing a little bit on the pavement? How fast is "low speed"?

I have a couple noises that come from my stock rear end. Neither of which sounds like a squeal though. The suspension "clunks" a little when going slowly over bad pavement and from time to time i hear what sounds like something moving around in the rear end when I make a turn after letting out the clutch. Anyone know what either of these sounds are and if they're normal?

I have a couple noises that come from my stock rear end. Neither of which sounds like a squeal though. The suspension "clunks" a little when going slowly over bad pavement and from time to time i hear what sounds like something moving around in the rear end when I make a turn after letting out the clutch. Anyone know what either of these sounds are and if they're normal?

Don't think it's your rear end. Sounds more like the transmission and/or the two piece driveshaft. The transmissions in these cars leave a lot to be desired IMO. They make a lot of noise and aren't that smooth but they do their job. :nice:

RD, you sure it's not just your tires squealing a little bit on the pavement? How fast is "low speed"?

I had a clunking noise. Turned out that my exhaust was hitting the axle. Check yours out and see if that might be happening for you too.

Hmm, how'd you fix that?

I had to loosen the clamps that were holding the midpipe to the hump that goes over the exhuast and take off the mufflers. Then I rearranged the pipes until I had better clearance and then reinstalled the mufflers so those lined up straight again.......And by muffler I mean straight pipes, lol, forgot I don't have mufflers!

There are a few TSB's for 05 and up cars. Ford used to change the cliutch packs out on them. The 08 has the new style packs. Now they add some friction modifier and hope that works. Mine does it too. I'm looking for different dealer to take it to. The first one "didn't hear anything". WTF.

Clutch pack noise

My 06 had this issue worked on twice. Take it to the dealership and ask for a tech to go for a ride with you. Find an empty lot and turn it hard left and right till it makes the noise. They were supposed to have fixed the issue? I got the same "can't duplicate" crap. Once the guy was in the car, we didn't even get out of the parking lot, the sound was obvious.