Rear Spring differences

bigd1961

Nov 2, 2019
Albion ny
Ok not wanting to sound stupid, but what is the difference between coupe, hatch and convert on rear springs?
I've got an 83 coupe that the rear springs have seen better days, so I'm looking to replace them.
Problem is nobody is listing any for the coupe, just hatch and convert, and I don't want the car to sit like a 70's
fit big tires under car.
HELLLLLPP!

• Sponsors (?)

Those three vehicles all weigh differently, so the spring are slightly different. There are generally spring codes on the door sticker, but as far as I know nobody has put together an extensive list of the codes and various rates/heights.

When it comes to aftermarket springs, they really only list them by hardtop/convertible. The coupe and hatch are grouped together in the hardtops. The hatchback only weighs slightly more than a coupe due to the big window, so there shouldn't be much variation in ride height out back.

Thanks for the reply Mustang 5l5 .bad thing is the doors were replaced and it was a 4cyl car. I knew there was a difference in weights, but was surprised there were no coupe springs. Looks like I'll be going for a set of constant rate hatch springs and hope it prevents the tires from hitting the wheel well lip on hard accel.

Thanks for the reply Mustang 5l5 .bad thing is the doors were replaced and it was a 4cyl car. I knew there was a difference in weights, but was surprised there were no coupe springs. Looks like I'll be going for a set of constant rate hatch springs and hope it prevents the tires from hitting the wheel well lip on hard accel.
It sounds like wheel offset or tire size is a bigger issue.

Do you have inboard clearance? That sounds like with flipped quad shocks and the right offset it could clear.
Others with wider rear tires should be able to confirm or not.