Rear wheels spin with brakes pressed

Ok, here's my thing with brakes and a 25-30 year old car.
I go through the brake system and replace hoses and most times drums and rotors, shoes, springs, nearly everything unless it looks obviously new. Master cylinder if it shows seepage.
The rubber hoses can swell up on the inside and make the brakes act funny.
With the description you're giving I think you're good to go as long as you have a firm peddle.
The pads and shoes need to be 'broke in' the methods very but basically you run a few heat/cool cycles and you're good. That's my experience anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, here's my thing with brakes and a 25-30 year old car.
I go through the brake system and replace hoses and most times drums and rotors, shoes, springs, nearly everything unless it looks obviously new. Master cylinder if it shows seepage.
The rubber hoses can swell up on the inside and make the brakes act funny.
With the description you're giving I think you're good to go as long as you have a firm peddle.
The pads and shoes need to be 'broke in' the methods very but basically you run a few heat/cool cycles and you're good. That's my experience anyway.
Thanks General. Yep, the peddle is perfect so I’m happy nothing seems to be an imminent danger. I feel confident now that I’m ok but as you said, 30 year car so things should still be replaced for proper performance especially when it comes to brakes. Therefore although I am glad she’s firm and working well I am definitely going to order some wheel cylinders and the master cylinder and swap those out in time. No reason to ignore those parts, I’m just glad it doesn’t have to be a rush job now.
they are inexpensive and will provide for a good day in the driveway. Lol
Thanks for your help!