Rearend install, how long did it take you?

I spent today removing a 89 gt rearend with 3.73 gears. But left one control arm connected because it was a pita. I'm going back tomorrow morning. It has one slight flake chip, which I'm thinking of filing smooth. Turns fine, doesn't seem to have any grind or play to it. Came from an automatic 5.0, so I'm hoping it wasn't abused as bad as a manual. (Yes, I know some a few of you w/auto's hammer down.) My first question is considering if I went the ebay route paying $60gears & $250 install that's an easy $300! The pullpart yard only wants $70 for the entire rearend and I could just bolt it right on. Should I get it? Next, how long did it take for you to install your rear end? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

When I swapped my rear end for the sn95 rear I had to deal with some brake line issues and swap the control arms as well.

I would think just swapping the entire rear could be done in a couple of hours if you went at it pretty serious. If I were going to do the swap now, I would give myself at least 4 hrs to get it done, because I screw around a lot, and get distracted.

jason

usually for me taking it apart goes a lot faster. But in the case of the rear end it installed faster than taking it out. I just remembered how much of a pita it was to remove and took notes on how to install it so that it would be a smooth transition. I think it took a little less than 2 hours to put in. good luck.

p.s.- this is for just installing not taking it out and installing. Taking it out took a little over 2 hours with the use of jack stands in my car port.