rebuilt 351C

Got offered a rebuilt 351C for $1300. said complete from top to bottom. I asked what year it came out of and what upgrades it has. what other questions should I ask? Its for a 70 f code with a C-4. Is that even compatible? Price seem ok? Thanks guys! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Even a stock rebuild would cost more than that, but to find out how real the "top to bottom" part is and to get an idea of what I am buying the questions I would ask are:
Is it a 2 barrel or 4 barrel (heads)?
What intake does it have?
Is it a stock rebuild?
What was done to the heads? (I.E. valve guides, valve springs, retainers, hardened seats, studs, roller rockers...)
What type pistons (forged, cast, ...)
Compression ratio (helps determine what type heads they have (2V will be lower compression unless they have pop up pistons or Aussie heads). 4v generally, but not always will have higher ratio. Bottom line--do they know what the heck they are talking about or was it thrown together/BS on a rebuild?
2 bolt or 4 bolt mains?
High volume or standard oil pump?
Oil restrictors installed?
What cam was installed?
Are accessory drives included? (Pulleys, PS pump, water pump pulley, alternator brackets)

Installation challenges will vary, but you will need new exhaust manifolds/headers, will need to get your exhaust modified. You will need the accessory drive stuff mentioned above as your 302 stuff won't fit. The C4 may need freshening depending on the build of the Cleveland.

Thanks for the relpy. I only asked about half those questions! So it is a 2v, all stock except for a Isky model CL 43262 cam. Reg flow oil pump in the box. Not sure abou the 2 vs. 4 bolts yet. Does that refer to bolts on the motor mounts? And he said he will include an FMX with it. Exhaust/headers to be replaced anyway. came out of a 70 coupe. I think thats a good year for HP, no? Im seriously considering this as my 302 is about half restored but I wanted to get a 351 eventually...

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :notnice: :nice: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :cheers:

also...

"bored and honed, new freeze plugs, re-grind of
stock crank, all new components in heads including valves and valve
guides."

"new pistons, cam and lifters, rod, main and cam bearings and new oil pump and new gaskets, Engine block was bored .030 over. Heads were re-surfaced and have been reconditioned with new valves, guides . Engine block and heads were properly hot-tanked and magnafluxed prior to machine work and assembly. Rotating assembly was balanced as well."

to quote... :cheers:

If he has the receipts I would probably buy it if you are in need of a motor. Building it yourself would likely cost more than $1300.

Before you start that motor--check with the cam manufacturer on valve spring requirements to see if they have a required spring for the cam you mentioned. Either that or ask the seller if he installed matched springs to the cam. Otherwise you need to get the springs checked for proper open and seat pressures and for coil bind. Whoever put it together should be able to tell you what they did, but some people throw motors together without checking. If it is a 2 barrel I would generally assume it is a 2 bolt main, the only way to tell that I know of is to pull the oil pan off and count the bolts on the main bearing caps.

The 2v heads on the Clevelands make very good street torque; even if it doesn't have 4 bolt mains 2 bolts are fine for most applications unless you are wanting a severe high winding or race motor. Sounds like a great deal to me especially with the FMX thrown in....

Its gonna be mainly a daily driver. Im in Texas so there is lots of space if I get that itch. Should I get different motor mounts? The shock towers are getting ready to be replaced so I could get the diff ones now if I need them. God this is fun, I love this hobby/lifestyle!

69 Rustang said:
....If it is a 2 barrel I would generally assume it is a 2 bolt main,

IF it is indeed a '70 F-code, that's probably true. However, if it's been pulled out of a later model; all bets are off. My (originally) California-smogged 4 door "grocery-getter" '73 Gran Torino came off the line with a Motorcraft 2150 2bbl and four bolt mains and eyebrow pistons. Ford must have been digging up every left-over block they could find at that time. :shrug:

And no she wasn't wearing that 2150 when she and I parted ways. A Holley 650 rode away on top of an E-brock Performer under her hood.
Gosh, I miss that car!
:nonono:

confirmed 2 bolt, apparently 4 bolts were on CJs only? I guess with the above exceptions... Well, thats good news anyhow, no? Now to figure out how to transport. Oh, I think Im going to stick with the C4 until I can get a T-5 ready, and add a hood and a door instead of the FMX. Ill let you know how it turns out! :nice:

I just bought a clev for 800 bucks its all rebuilt, and was never fired up since the rebuild. The thing looks brand new. included engine stand, a new rebuilt C6 (also never used) with another tranny he had lying in his garage (not sure what it is). he also gave me a pair of brand new headers, the original air cleaner along with a chrome motorsport one, he had two extra carbs and an extra alternator. The motor is ready to run, carb to pan with all accessories attached. I'm not sure when I'll install it, I would like to restore and detail the engine bay 1st. As far as transporting it home, I did it today with my neighbor and dad, wasn't as bad as we thought. I borrowed a hoist and a wood engine crate from a local shop (friend), and we put everything in my dads pickup. We forgot the tie downs but really didn't need them, it was about a 1/2 hour ride, took it slow and everything worked out fine. Good Luck and let us know how it works out.