Recaro vs. Flowfit- educated opinions wanted

stangbear427

Nov 11, 2002
New England
So, I've decided not to put my Corbeau CR1's from my old GT into my '93 Cobra, I want to do something nicer and easier to live with. No complaints about the CR1's, but then, I have a 32" waist. As it turns out, most of my passengers are a little larger, and if you're bigger than 33" then forget about being comfortable. Also, as awesome looking as they are, they stuck out like a sore thumb. Which was fine in my racy GT, but I'd like to keep the Cobra more sedate... and OEM looking. I hate floating all over the place, these stock seats have to go!

I really don't know much about either of them, but I'm under the impression that Flowfit is just a cheaper knockoff of Recaro. I know they were both standard equipment in different year Saleens, so they can't be too different, right? Anyone sat in both? Are the Flowfits as good?
Also, what adjustments are there? I love the hug of my CR1's, but it would be nice to be able to open them up so someone bigger could still be comfortable. Is there noticeably more lateral support than the stock seats with the Recaro/Flowfit? How "one size fits most" are they... or do the wings adjust? I believe the lap does, but how about the kidneys?

Pics welcome! I'm interested in the contrast against the interior color, my Cobra is Red with grey/black interior. I want something that looks like Ford may have put them there, so whatever blends best is probably the route I'll go.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a pair of Recarros that I pulled from one of my SVO's I plan on putting in my '89 GT once I get them recovered. My unlce had a 90 Saleen with Flofit and of them both I prefer the Recarros because they look better and are better quality.

I just purchased a set of Flofits for my car from the SeatSource (write up to follow). The seats are made in Taiwaan. I am not saying that as a negative, as the seats I received are extremely well built and the leather upholstery is flawless. I am not sure if the Flofits were always made overseas, but probably, knowing Saleen's propensity for 'economical' parts! :) lol Recaro's are nicer, but you get what you pay for. I wanted the Flofit/Saleen look for my car, and the seats, in leather w/ the rear cover were in my price range. In reality, the covering is what makes the seat. The interior skeleton or carcass is simply welded steel and foam, no matter who makes the seat, all depends on what you want to $pend!

No idea if this will help you at all or what, but here you go:

I have Cerullos and have fit people comfortably with over a 37" waist. Different people will have different builds of course, but it was never a problem with these.

www.cerullo.com

They're very nice seats and you can have your choice of wrapping. Mine are the XR model.

go junkyard searching... I found these locally , for short money. Aparently they are worth big bucks and came out of a late 80's Porsche . Who knew! They damn sure are comfortable and im rocking a 38" waist. PS they look the balls too!

attachment.php

I have the flofits in my stang. The big thing I like about them is that it's a brand new seat that looks like it belongs in a mustang and they also make the rear seat covers giving the finishing touch. they are built solid, they have the pull out leg adjusters like the old stock sports seats, the heads rests adjust forward/back a really nice feature. I also opted for the lubar even though it's manual(just like the olden days). firm cusion, good grip I'm a 36" waist with plenty of room.

good quality, good price, seat source great to deal with and the plus of pre made rear seat covers is a win.

Well, I'd be buying new so the FloFits will be the better budget hands down. I just wondered how much nicer the (for the most part identical) Recaro's are for twice the money. Doesn't seem like they can possibly be that much better, but what do I know? Saleen made the switch in '92, he must have had some reason.

Well, I'd be buying new so the FloFits will be the better budget hands down. I just wondered how much nicer the (for the most part identical) Recaro's are for twice the money. Doesn't seem like they can possibly be that much better, but what do I know? Saleen made the switch in '92, he must have had some reason.

Yeah, Steve Saleen probably had a giant outstanding bill left unpaid from the Flofit supplier from all of the cars he made in 88 and 89! Not even kidding here, they stopped using Flofits in 90, I believe. Saleen did Flofits, then Ford leather then went to the Recaro's. Saleen made 700+ cars in 88 and 89 and only around 22 or so in 1992, do the math! The volume of cars they were producing allowed for buying seats and covers a few at a time, per demand. These were dark times for Saleen, and they very nearly went under.
No doubt the Recaro's are of higher quality than the Flofits, but even the cheapest (new) Recaro will cost you more than double a Flofit, forget about leather. I'm telling you, seats are just steel frames and foam, you pay for the covering and the name. The Flofits are not cheap, they are reasonably priced, for what you get. Flofits FTW! :nice:

IIRC, Years ago Flofit had some major business problems. I believe they even went out of business for a short time before Seat Source picked them up. There used to be an actual www.flofit.com site. I found out when trying to find replacement inflating bulbs for the lumbar support which I later picked up on eBay. Next time I'll probably look into the bulbs they use for inflating football helmets or for blood pressure cuffs.