Remote start/alarm opinions?

HaynStang

Dec 16, 2006
Portland
Does anyone here with a manual trans have a remote start on their car? Or know if its possible to wire up a safety switch on the shifter and/or ebrake, so that the car will start only start in neutral with the parking brake on? I'd really like to get a remote starter on my car for those cold mornings but being that it's a stick shift I'd have to make sure that its safe.

I'm pretty sure that most alarm/stereo shops won't make a remote starter functional on a stick shift car due to the liability involved, but I think with the safety switch(es) it would be just as safe as an automatic. A local stereo shop told me that the best they could do is wire it up so I could go out and start the car normally, then remove the key and have it keep running.

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with Autopage alarms? Are they any good? The shop I went to carries them and I noticed you can get them pretty cheap online. I was gonna go with a Viper or Clifford, but the retail markup on them is ridiculous and nobody seems to sell the better models online anymore.

• Sponsors (?)

You can use the safety switch that's already in the car. It runs out of the front of the transmission and is the same switch that prevents you from running the KOER codes in your car if it's either in gear or if the Air Cond is set to MAX.

Ah... that sounds like an easy solution! Where will I find the correct wires to tap into? Has anyone does this yet?

Who here has installed their own alarm/remote start? I haven't done one before but with enough patience and the proper instructions I figure it should be doable.

Yeah... it's been done. lemme see if I can find you a pic of the pigtail. You might even do a search in the tech forum. I wrote a short article on this a long while back and included pics and wiring diagram. Off the top of my head though, I don't remember if that circuit was normally open or normally closed.

Here's an image showing the pig tail. You could always Ohm out the connector with your meter to see which way the switch operates.

aa251.jpg

Don't forget to short the other end of this harness if you use this switch. Otherwise, you'll not be able to run a KOER test. The tranny switch is part of that circuit (that doesn't seem to really do anything on our cars except get in the way of that test).

As many times i have come across that switch i never new what it actually did untill now LOL. I have planned on using it on my stangs remote start but i broke it last time i had the tranny out and have yet to replace it.

Another important thing to do when installing a remote start on a stick shift car is tieing in to the E-brake wiring. 99% of remote starters will have a wire that will only allow it to start if it gets a ground signal. This way if you tie the e-brake to it it will only start if the e-brake is engaged. And i don't know anyone that puts their car in neutral without pulling the e-brake

You can use the safety switch that's already in the car. It runs out of the front of the transmission and is the same switch that prevents you from running the KOER codes in your car if it's either in gear or if the Air Cond is set to MAX.

I have already installed my alarm but use the toggle switch that came with it... I wanted to know, how do you know if that switch from the tranny works or not? and if it is on all year mustangs from 87-93? I have an 87 so would I have it?

Don't forget to short the other end of this harness if you use this switch. Otherwise, you'll not be able to run a KOER test. The tranny switch is part of that circuit (that doesn't seem to really do anything on our cars except get in the way of that test).

What exactly do you mean by shorting the other end of the harness?