remote start question

pk89 5.0

Nov 2, 2007
hey gus i was hoping somone could help me find out how to uninstall my remote start ony my 89 mustang.

my friend tried to unlock the car with the remote hit the wrong button and it went into my garage. all i got from it was a dent in the bumper and a few scratches.
i know a new bumper is around 180 to 200 but i was also going to ask how much u guys would think it would b to have a bumper painted and a few spots on my fender fixed, the scratch on my fender is around 4-5 inches long. the damage isnt bad and the car is still drivable but id like to fix it somewhat soon.
thanks for any input

• Sponsors (?)

that was the first question. i asked how to disconnect the remot start

You don't need to disconnect it... it just needs to be wired through safety switch. Youc an tap into the pig-tail that comes off of the front of the T5 Tranny. That will keep the starter form kicking in if the car is in gear.

Have a REPUTABLE installer take a look.

Auto starts + 5 spds = disaster if installed incorrectly.

Yup. Remember many years ago (here or the corral), someone self-installed a regular remote starter in a Cobra with a manual tranny? He went to a restaurant that had valet service. Then, the valet hit the remote start when he went to get the car! :O Besides his car, I think that 2-3+ other cars were damaged. Of course, he insurance told him to jump in a lake because it was an illegal & unsafe modification to the car. I never did hear how he was able to pay for all of that damage!

There are remote starters for cars with manuals - use only those!

For my Olds 5sp, I have a standard remote start. I installed in many years ago. But, I also require the tranny to be in N and the parking brake to be on. I used 2 relays to do that. The N switch and the Parking brake enable 2 separate relays that are in series with the power to the remote starter (for the logic, not the starter circuit). Heck, I didn't even want to trust the safety (/hood open) input.

Today, I would just use one of the remote starters *made* for cars with manuals. Much easier and safer!