remote start?

• Sponsors (?)

Actually YES you can put in a remote start. As long as it's designed for a standard trans. We do tham all the time up here in Canada. I'd recommend not doing it yourself because they're a pretty involved install and you can do alot of damage if you're not careful. You also have to deal the with PATS or SECURILOCK anti-theft system and that adds more hassle. There are modules designed to integrate with those systems but you need to know what you're doing or you can do some serious electrical damage.

asthmaticZeater said:
cant put a remote start on a manual tranny car. clutch must be depressed to start the car. :D
undefined As long as i have been driving a manual tranny Gee I didn't know that...DUH! they know have bypass modules for that little problem.you need to do your homework! already found several remote made specially for a manual tranny "asthmaticZeater"

Full Featured Remote Car Starter for Vehicles with MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Model TL1250M
With Keyless Entry - New in Box!

Remote Car Starter for Manual Transmissions!! Ebay Item number: 3050607086

jadesville said:
they wont install them because of liability issues

Exactly. I tried gettin one isntalled here in Seattle and none of the big name shops will install them due to liability issues. Alot of people park thier car in gear and once you start that car, your car goes flyin.

jadesville said:
they wont install them because of liability issues
Yeah, that's it. I think some places will do it if you sign some waiver or something. :shrug: I thought there were safety features in the newest remote manual starters though? Like check if it's in gear and for parking brake.

JonJon said:
Yeah, that's it. I think some places will do it if you sign some waiver or something. :shrug: I thought there were safety features in the newest remote manual starters though? Like check if it's in gear and for parking brake.

i would hope so, maybe someone can find out :)

I have a remote starter on mine...I had the guy who does the installs add it for me on the side. I also had to get a module to bypass the PATS system.

I drive my car daily and being able to warm it up in below freezing temps is necessary with the blower and sucky ass t3650 tranny.

DeadLurker said:
I have a remote starter on mine...I had the guy who does the installs add it for me on the side. I also had to get a module to bypass the PATS system.

I drive my car daily and being able to warm it up in below freezing temps is necessary with the blower and sucky ass t3650 tranny.
Are there any safety features so you don't start it when it's in gear?

JonJon said:
Are there any safety features so you don't start it when it's in gear?

I've tested it out. Basically if I leave it in gear and the ebrake is up the car will jerk less than a foot forward and then die...it will try it three times and then give up.

If you leave it in gear and dont' pull the ebrake..it will start and drive away...I tested it in a parking lot and it kept going and going.

What I do is basically never park it in gear and if someone else had to use my car for whatever reason I never remote start it unless I was the last person to drive it.

I install remote starts for a living. Yes it is possible. You are better off leaving it to a pro though. You will need an extra key and a tbkIII module (thats what we use) to bypass the pats system. To bypass the clutch switch, you take the starter wire from the remote start to the cold side of the clutch switch which activates the starter. You will also need extra relays because the door locks are reversal rest at ground. Doing the install without a info sheet on the car is almost impossible.
By the way, there is a fullproof way. Nicer remote starts have a reservation mode option. You put the car in neutral, apply the brake, pull the parking brake, and release the brake. Then you can turn off the ignition and the car will stay running. You then get out and the car automatically locks the doors, and then it shuts off. Now it is in reservation mode. The only drawback is that you cannot open the doors again until it is started or it will be taken out of reservation mode and cannot be remote started.

Ultra Start brand starters are very nice units and are about the easiest to install. Whatever you do, DO NOT waste your money on a bulldog or any other starter that you can purchase at walmart.

<-----has Clifford IntelliStart installed on my 5-speed.

With the Clifford system, you can't leave it in gear. The car has to be running before you arm the alarm. If you leave it in gear, the car will die before you get out of the car.

If a shop refuses to install the Clifford system on your car due to liability issues, then they aren't up to date on their products.

NO, the only time that the pats is bypassed is when the remote starter sends a ground signal to the module after YOU tell it to. Otherwise, PATS will work like normal. We sell for about $429 installed in a PATS car, but the starter itself can probably be purchased for under 80 on ebay. I recomend a 1250 model, but it must be a manual transmission model. They don't cost anymore, but you must use a manual transmission specific model. I personally have a compustar spread spectrum unit that is also an alarm with 1mile + range. If someone sets off my alarm, it will page me by beeping and vibrating. It is also a starter but sells for about $7-800 installed.

Cool, thanks. That paging thing sounds nice after my car got vandalized last semester. I park about 1/2 mile away :(

oh and with a ~1 mile range it'd be fantastic in this winter, i'd be able to start it from my room, walk to the car and have it warm
:banana:

freaking cold in MA :p