removal of belt tensioner assy.

stged455

Feb 27, 2009
have 95 mustang with v6, belt tensioner dissentigrated today and screwed whole assy.question, is the bolt holding assy to airconditioner bracket right handed or left? cant get it to move either way. any help would very much be appreciated i dont normally work on fords but its my wifes car and you know. dont know much about them. thanks barry:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i got no thanks to any of you ford guys, guess you dont know anything about these junk mustangs either. guess thats why i regularly dispatch mustangs with my 70 g/s stage1 out to pasture where they belong.

I was going to reply but I totally forgot about this one.Hadn't been around for a week or so.

I was wondering whether or not that bolt was reverse threaded like the pulley bolt is.I tried counterclockwise on this bolt several years ago and ended up rounding off the inside edges.I don't remember whether it was a torx bolt or reverse hex.I know it was around a T50 torx or so.I know it has to be drilled out now.Havn't touched it since.

Good luck

Well here it is 10 yrs later and I have the same issue the rude guy had, but I promise not to be rude :) It's a 55 torx bit and I have tried everything. I broke two torx bits in the process and still trying, I used a industrial heat gun until the penetrating oil I sprayed started smoking around the piece. I read several places that it is normal thread pattern, counter clockwise to loosen. It is now me verses the tensioner and I plan to win. I have tried breaker bar, electric impact and air impact. Any other ideas greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Just wondering. These belts have steel cords embedded inside. Is it possible that some of the steel cords are wrapped around the tensioner? Is it possible that the cords are wedged in between and making it tighter than it should be?

I would be concerned about stripping out the threads from the timing cover if turning too hard.

More heat!