Removing Engine with H-Pipe Attached?

Devon27

Dec 6, 2019
Virginia
So I’m in a predicament. I’m removing the stock exhaust on my 2000 GT for and engine replacement, and of course it is one big solid piece of rust. Got everything off except the passenger side h-pipe to manifold bolts. I’ve been blasting them with penetrating lube for days and used heat but to no avail. I’ve messed with them so much that at this point the top nut is stripped and the bottom one will be if I keep trying because I can’t get a socket on it straight. I would really like to avoid cutting up my h-pipe, so I was wondering if it’s possible to pull the engine with it still attached. Unless there is some secret that can get those nuts off, I don’t really have any other options since I can’t reach them with a cutting tool. Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

It does sound like you're having an issue. Are you only removing the exhaust from the cat back, or are you installing an entirely new system from the exhaust manifolds back? If so, just remove the entire system. If not, why would you pull the engine to remove the exhaust? I don't believe that would be necessary, much less impossible (unless your pulling the tranny out attached to the engine as you do it). Break down exactly what you are wanting to do for us, so we can try to help you better.

It does sound like you're having an issue. Are you only removing the exhaust from the cat back, or are you installing an entirely new system from the exhaust manifolds back? If so, just remove the entire system. If not, why would you pull the engine to remove the exhaust? I don't believe that would be necessary, much less impossible (unless your pulling the tranny out attached to the engine as you do it). Break down exactly what you are wanting to do for us, so we can try to help you better.
I am removing the engine anyways because it needs to be replaced; that’s the reason for the exhaust removal. The rest of the exhaust is off but I couldn’t get the last bolts for the h-pipe off. Basically I decided it cut it after the first passenger cat. I am pulling the tranny with it and after looking at it, it seems the whole assembly with the one cat will squeeze out of the engine bay.

I am removing the engine anyways because it needs to be replaced; that’s the reason for the exhaust removal. The rest of the exhaust is off but I couldn’t get the last bolts for the h-pipe off. Basically I decided it cut it after the first passenger cat. I am pulling the tranny with it and after looking at it, it seems the whole assembly with the one cat will squeeze out of the engine bay.
If you already have cut the pipe and are pulling out the entire assembly, I’d say go ahead and do it that way. Make sure you post pictures along the way. I’m thinking about rebuilding a used engine myself, so I’d like to know if you run into any other issues.

If you already have cut the pipe and are pulling out the entire assembly, I’d say go ahead and do it that way. Make sure you post pictures along the way. I’m thinking about rebuilding a used engine myself, so I’d like to know if you run into any other issues.
So it does fit out with a cat attached. It actually didn’t even get in the way. It was way easier than messing with those nuts.

Attachments

• C330B857-FB0A-414F-8CE9-E9D7B77181CA.jpeg
    C330B857-FB0A-414F-8CE9-E9D7B77181CA.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 83
  • F4B4D266-2E67-411E-AF04-4ABC1D2A54DB.jpeg
    F4B4D266-2E67-411E-AF04-4ABC1D2A54DB.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 100
  • D6E6BB7F-82A6-45D0-A509-2263FA8FD0FC.jpeg
    D6E6BB7F-82A6-45D0-A509-2263FA8FD0FC.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 93