Removing Rear Bumper Side Marker???

rebelleader

Mar 18, 2003
Homer Glen, Il
Hi all, I am new here and this is my first question posted.

Last week I bought a 2001 Black GT Vert. I am in the process of improving the looks and performance of the ride.

This brings me to my question: how do you remove the red rear side reflective markers? I want to remove them and paint them black so that they blend in with the rest of the car. I thought they were just stuck on with tape but after trying to get them off with fishing line I think they may be bolted on.

Please help.

• Sponsors (?)

I do believe that you will need to remove the carpet area in the trunk and there is some type of screw/tab.

There was a howto somewhere (I thought mustangworld, though I looked and didn't see it). Hopefully someone will be able to help you more.

hey i did mine a month ago and i cut the stock ones in half with my little dremel drill :p and yanked it out from the center cut. it seemed like the easiest way without ruining the paint or having to take anything apart.

the only way to access the rear of the reflector is to take apart the trunk. Its alot of work for 2 reflectors. I cut mine in half and replaced them....if you don't want to take apart the trunk...crack out the old and spend 10bucks for a new set that you can tint or whatever.

Just pull out the side carpet thing out of the truck and you should see some sort of screw/tab which is holding it in.

Im sure someone will eventually post a link to the write up which I speak of.

Sorry for the lack of help you are receiving

:nice:

droptopponynj said:
the only way to access the rear of the reflector is to take apart the trunk. Its alot of work for 2 reflectors. I cut mine in half and replaced them....if you don't want to take apart the trunk...crack out the old and spend 10bucks for a new set that you can tint or whatever.

Thank you. I guess that is what I will just buy new reflectors.

Thanks for the help.

I did both markers with aftermarket clears in 45mins.

You need to remove a clip on the under side of the bumper, two screws in the wheel well, and in the trunk under the carpet there are 2 8mm nuts.

Undo all of those and then pull the bumper down and out CAREFULLY and that will allow you access to the 2 10mm nuts holding the reflectors on.

That is the correct way to do it. :)

???WTF are some of you doing??? "HACKS" The plastic side lenses have a plastic rod that has a thin metal twist nut on the back....You can look under the rear bumper & clearly see them......You can unscrew the couple of screw just behind the rear wheels on the fender edge & pull the bumper cover out far enough to put a ??9,10, or 11mm?? socket on them.....they come off really easy, you should be able to take them both off in about 15-20 minutes.......