Removing Smog Gear...

p.exeter_bleu

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
El Paso,TX
ok well my tensioner pulley went out, and i need a new belt so i thought i would just go ahead and axe the smog pump, and run a short belt. what is involved in taking out the pump? as far as items that need to be removed, hoses, etc. any tips on how to go about it? what size of belt should i run with no smog, but with AC? thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

You will need a 76 inch belt, it's tight but it works. Ford recomends this belt, then just remove the hoses and block off the holes in the back of the head with bolts,and block off the hole in the h-pipe. If I remember right you also have to block off 2 vaccum lines. It's fairly simple and cleans up the engine bay.

p.exeter_bleu said:
ok well my tensioner pulley went out, and i need a new belt so i thought i would just go ahead and axe the smog pump, and run a short belt. what is involved in taking out the pump? as far as items that need to be removed, hoses, etc. any tips on how to go about it? what size of belt should i run with no smog, but with AC? thanks in advance.

if u dont want anything showing u can bust your knuckles and take the pipes all the way of the heads and break the porcelin off 2 old spark plugs and they will right in the back of the heads.

im running ac with no smog pump right now with stock pulleys. i ordered the belt from ford for 5.0l with no a/c i believe the belt is 84.5in that number should also be somewhere in the part number also there is a different way to the belt do a search the diagram will be in one of the posts

Just a word of caution on belt length. Ford has several pulley sizes that they used through the years on the p/s pumps. Also, there is the variable for u/d pulleys. I have seen altleast 3 different sizes of pulleys on smog pumps.

Just saying that what worked for these guys may not work for you, so be prepared.

Good Luck,
jason

i got the 76inch on, like he posted it is tight, but the tensioner isnt maxed out completely and it seems to be doing just fine. i have yet to take out the smog gear, ill leave that for another day, but the bypass went by fairly quickly.

I have no smog pump and A/C pulley eliminator and under drive pulleys and mine used an 83" belt. Also I have a Ford Racing Smog pump eliminator if U need it that is almost new for $65 plus shipping. It sells for $90 right now if U want it. Then U don't even have to get a new belt.