Removing Steering Wheel On My 85 Svo

Dec 17, 2016
My 1985 SVO failed state inspection today due to movement in the steering column. I took the horn cover off the steering wheel and the lock nut, but it looks like someone messed up the threads on the wheel used to attach the wheel puller. My question is, What size bolts should I use to pull the wheel ? They look like 5/16' 24 to me. Any help will be much appreciated. I am thinking the movement in the steering is due to a worn out bearing.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hiya... I'm going to drop this thread down one section.

You do in fact, have it in the correct location but your question is general to all Mustangs of this era so I'm putting it into a forum that will get it more views.

Mods,
Feel free to move back once this has been answered.

Here's and alternate method for getting the wheel off. Takes two people. One person grabs each side of the wheel and pulls it. The second person smacks the center of the shaft with a hammer. 3lb maul with short handle works good. Just hit it square and the threads should survive fine. I've done it this way several times. Might take a few stout shots but it will come off with the shock. Pull hard, smack it square and stout

Here's and alternate method for getting the wheel off. Takes two people. One person grabs each side of the wheel and pulls it. The second person smacks the center of the shaft with a hammer. 3lb maul with short handle works good. Just hit it square and the threads should survive fine. I've done it this way several times. Might take a few stout shots but it will come off with the shock. Pull hard, smack it square and stout

That's how I got my wheel off.

I used the puller as well, but the above method was faster.

Me too, I used a brass hammer head on top of the shaft and smacked it with a bfh a couple times and it popped right off, brass hammer head will save the threads, but then my aim ain't so good some days.

Reactions: 1 user
Again, the key is its a two person task. One has to be pulling pretty hard and evenly while the other strikes the shaft

No doubt two people assisting would help but alas, I don't have that many friends:stick:

I agree that your method of buffering the impact with a brass hammer head is a better idea then smacking directly with hammer. At least on the ones I've done, the end of the shaft is conical so you can hit on it some without compromising the threads. Both of the other cars I did this on were GM products. I'm not sure the the end of the shaft looks like on these Foxbody cars.

Good morning karthief, well I am not in luck, as usual ! My car has a tilt wheel. Do you have any more good ideas? I am thinking about looking for another tilt steering column, but it might just be like the one I am trying to fix.

I got a couple I've pulled for spares, parts and the like, they look complicated, several springs you have to pay attention to, most of the time it's that bearing in the collar, really they hold up pretty well so get yourself one for a spare, parts, you'll be glade you did.

Thank you guys for your help. My problem with the tilt mechanism was two loose bolts on the column. I added some thread locker, and tightened them, and WOW, no more loose and sloppy steering wheel. Thanks again !

Reactions: 1 user