Removing The Harmonic Balancer In My 93

Miss5.0

Apr 11, 2015
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have been battling my cooling system. So right now I am working on changing my timing cover gasket due to broken bolts that broken off from the water pump, which i have to remove. So I am trying to get the timing cover off and I am aware that you have to take the harmonic balancer off.

I rented the installer tool from autozone, so does anyone have any advice or recommendations for me on doing this.

Thank you!!

• Sponsors (?)

This is pretty straight forward,

Remove the lower pulley from the balancer
Remove the retaining bolt in the center of the balancer
Install the Puller with supplied bolts in the existing pulley mounting holes
Tighten center bolt on puller to slowly press on crankshaft snout and remove balancer

Carefully inspect the balancer for damage, a lot of oem balancers will have the bonded rubber literally falling apart when they reach this age...

If you buy a puller kit that was made in China, (and most are), plan on replacing the common size bolts with better quality, graded ones. Also, if you have to rent one, just buy one. You will break even the second time you need it, even for a steering wheel.

Reactions: 1 user
I rented the installer tool from autozone, so does anyone have any advice or recommendations for me on doing this.

My advice is take back the installer tool and get the removal tool, they're very different.

To install it, heat it in a 230 degree oven for an hour and quickly slip it on the crank, which you will have already applied a coating of anti-sieze, then use the installer tool or the retainer bolt to draw it all the way on.

This is pretty straight forward,

Remove the lower pulley from the balancer
Remove the retaining bolt in the center of the balancer
Install the Puller with supplied bolts in the existing pulley mounting holes
Tighten center bolt on puller to slowly press on crankshaft snout and remove balancer

Carefully inspect the balancer for damage, a lot of oem balancers will have the bonded rubber literally falling apart when they reach this age...

OK that was pretty much what I was thinking that needed to happen. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything.

If you buy a puller kit that was made in China, (and most are), plan on replacing the common size bolts with better quality, graded ones. Also, if you have to rent one, just buy one. You will break even the second time you need it, even for a steering wheel.

Yeah thats true!! I Will probably end up doing that. Thank you!!! =)

My advice is take back the installer tool and get the removal tool, they're very different.

To install it, heat it in a 230 degree oven for an hour and quickly slip it on the crank, which you will have already applied a coating of anti-sieze, then use the installer tool or the retainer bolt to draw it all the way on.
Hmm i never thought of putting it in the oven!!! thank you!! anything to make this easier! and I have both tools already but they are rented.

Don't forget to remove the washer after you remove the factory bolt holding the balancer on before you put on the puller or you will never get the balancer off, and end up breaking something.

Check the balancer when removed for signs it needs replacing- the rubber coming out from the sides. If it were me, I'd spend the $60 and get a new replacement balancer, as the one you have on is 25+ years old.

You can also put the balancer in boiling water for 20 minutes or so and it will expand out enough to slide on the crank. It also helps to lighltly emory the crank. Use a new ARP crank bolt and I think it gets torqued to 90#?

Buy a new ford racing stock replacement balancer while it's off.
Should be less than $100.
The rubber coming out of a balancer can cause catastrophic damage, I consider changing the balancer to fall under general maintenance.

Don't forget to remove the washer after you remove the factory bolt holding the balancer on before you put on the puller or you will never get the balancer off, and end up breaking something.

Check the balancer when removed for signs it needs replacing- the rubber coming out from the sides. If it were me, I'd spend the $60 and get a new replacement balancer, as the one you have on is 25+ years old.

You can also put the balancer in boiling water for 20 minutes or so and it will expand out enough to slide on the crank. It also helps to lighltly emory the crank. Use a new ARP crank bolt and I think it gets torqued to 90#?

Thanks for all the help!!! So I got everything off and I had two bolts that were in my block that I had to drill out. There was soo much rust where the broken bolt was so the timing cover was a b*** to get off. But hey everything is placed back on and he is running happy and healthy. However the powersteering pump and hose went out right afterwards which I already swapped out, but hey it happens! lol

Reactions: 1 user