Drivetrain Replaced tranny but not shifting...

DJ1111

Jul 9, 2020
Denver, CO
Got a new tranny put it, however, now it doesn't shift. It basically in in neutral. I am a little bit clueless when it comes to transmissions in general, so I asked a friend (who fancies himself a mechanic) to take a look. He said that the gears were "not connected". Also, the whole exhaust is still off.

I guess I just need to know how to explain it to a real mechanic (which would also help me estimate costs).

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I am a little bit clueless when it comes to transmissions in general, so I asked a friend (who fancies himself a mechanic) to take a look. He said that the gears were "not connected".
Your friend needs to fancy himself as something else.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
General karthief, it is used. It's a long story, but the original tranny started losing gears. The new one looked ok, had all it's parts and it was really clean. The one who started the work wasn't able to finish so someone else put it in. Then didn't finish it. just put the transmission in. They didn't even put the exhaust back in -- that's sitting in the back seat and trunk. Like I said, long story. I've been trying to find someone else to do the work, but the shops around me are pretty backed up with Plus, I am going to have to save a lot more money to get the work done.

And yes, 74stang2togo, you're probably right! LOL The dude is a friend of a friend, so you probably you know how that goes. He was a little drunk at the time. LOL

I need to fix it or just sell it, so I wanna try and figure it out myself. So, I am trying to learn what I need to do.

Thanks guys.