Replacement 351w Options

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
Hey all,

I'm a classic owner (66') with an old 351w that needs to be replaced, and I'm trying to get a feel for my options. It occurred to me that it might worth getting a roller-type 351w, but I'm not sure which years are 'good'/'best' or what to look for.

My goals/situation:
I have a 351w with Trick Flow heads that needs to be replaced. I can't rebuild it, its .060 over. I have maybe $5k budget, probably less. Current motor made 370hp/400tq, and I'd like to make at least that much as I don't like going backwards. Also want it to run a while. My dad and I can do some of the work, as we have done head and cam swaps before with some success.

I posted this in the classic tech board, but that page is pretty dead (another reason I'm here):

Its appearing like my 351w is done... i was having a lot of trouble keeping it running and it broke down a few months ago. Brand new oil was almost black, and found lots of shavings on my magnetic drain plug. Took the oil filter off and found a couple large shavings, and also tested them to be magnetic. I took it a shop and they were going to run a compression check; but when they got around to it they heard loud grinding noises and said there's something wrong with the rotating assembly.

The motor didn't have that many miles on it, but was a cheap autozone rebuild that my dad put cam/heads on. It was already .060 over so a rebuild of it isn't an option. Additionally it was a hodgepodge of 71-74 parts, so it had low compression... essentially I'm not that sad tos ee it go.

I do hope my Trick Flow heads are okay, however.

Anyway, I'm looking into my options for replacement engines...whether I go with a full rebuilt engine, or a long or short block from Coast High Performance or another socal engine shop. My dad and I have done a heads/cam swap before, though I would pay a little extra if I could get a shop to do it for us. I can't go absolutely nuts though, budget would be $4-5k max, and I'd have to be pretty convinced this is going to last if I'm going to spend that mcuh.

My questions:
1) What would one expect to spend on a stock or close-to-stock 69/70 351w, rebuilt?
2) If I was to look at later model roller-type motors, woudl this change the price much? Which engines are best (strength, compression ratio, etc)?
3) Any thoughts on the choice of a) buying a short block, building it with my Trick Flow heads etc versus b) buying a long block and simply selling the Trick Flow heads to offset some of the difference?
4) Any SoCal shop recommendations?

Thanks!
Ben

• Sponsors (?)

As an experiment, I spec'ed out a 408 on chp's site with the pistons for TW's rated up to 550hp.
Came out to $2800.
That's really not bad.

Take the rest of the money and send your TW's to TEA (total engineering airflow) and have them valve jobbed and CNC'ed.
With that setup I wouldn't doubt you could see 450+rwhp (if the rest of your parts support it).

Regardless, the heads should be fine, but they should be valve jobbed.