replacement stock injectors for my 89

jreed2

Jul 6, 2011
i wondered if anyone had places to get rebuilt stock injectors? I work in an auto parts store and even with my discount its still like $45.00 each for the injectors i am totally rebuilding this car and the motor is gonna be stock for quit some time and these injectors are the orig ford ones and they have seen better days. Thanks for all the help in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Junkyard or ebay. Ask around and someone might even give you their old set for free. I've installed use injectors before with no issue. I even had a set I polished way back in the day.

Other than that...you're gonna pay $40+ per injector if you buy new/rebuilt.

I bought a set of remanufactured 19's about a year ago for an '87 that I had.
They were nice and looked brand new for around $99 bucks and were the newer 4 hole nozzle design.

The car ran great with them. If you search "5.0 Mustang" in parts and accessories on Ebay motors there are tons of them for around $100 bucks.

Good Luck

Here's some help you'll need once the injectors are in hand...

The purpose of the pintle caps is to hold the O ring in place. They keep the O ring from sliding off the injector and down into the intake manifold. Properly installed, they have no effect on performance.

Fuel injector seal kits with 2 O rings and a pintle cap (Borg-Warner P/N 274081) are available at Pep Boys auto parts. Cost is about $3-$4 per kit.. The following are listed at the Borg-Warner site ( BWD - Home ) as being resellers of Borg-Warner parts:

Welcome to PartsPlus.com or Auto Value / Bumper to Bumper Quality Parts & Service - Home of the Aftermarket Auto Parts Alliance Group or Auto Parts Stores, Brakes, Tires & Automotive Parts | Pep Boys or Federated Auto Parts - Automotive Aftermarket

Most of the links above have store locators for find a store in your area.

Use motor oil on the O rings when you re-assemble them & everything will slide into place. The gasoline will wash away any excess oil that gets in the wrong places and it will burn up in the combustion chamber.

The pintle caps fit either injectors with a pin sticking out the injector end or 4 with more tiny holes in the injector end
The pintle caps hold the O ring in place and keep it from sliding off and into the manifold. If the correct pintle caps are used, they do not have any effect on the injector spray pattern or engine performance.

Heating the pintle caps in boiling water makes it much easier to install them.

Just a sidenote. Ford Racing injectors are the same as regular dealership bought injectors or any Ford injector. Venom rebuilds cores and are NOT new injectors though they charge like they are but they are balanced. The best bet is a set of ACCEL injectors which are brand new and are a balanced set which runs about $30 a piece or $280 - $290 a set.

There is an article somewhere on the net about cleaning injectors and testing them. The author states that overnight soaking really tells the truth about buildups inside the injector even after the screens/filters have been removed. The only thing I didn't understand is how he was able to submerge them and the coils didn't short out when he energized them because the two connectors just slip through the plastic outer housing. Possibly a good inner seal is involved somehow.

And finally, Ford stock injectors are of the pintle design which is more prone to buildups. I chose to go with the ACCEL units after researching all of this and also found they have a disc - design which gives a better spray pattern and is better at self cleaning. For all of these reasons, and the fact that I wanted to be sure that I didn't have any fuel flow problems, I just threw a set of these ACCEL injectors in. They seem like the best bang for the buck. Afterall, try diagnosing an injector which is a tad lean causing a misfire or periodic stumble when the engine is not up to temperature or when in the closed-loop mode of operation.

Actually, recent topic has come up about the newer Explorer injectors used on the 5.0 being a slight "upgrade" to the Mustang 19# injectors. They are 19's as well but used a revised spray nozzle that supposedly gives a better pattern

I have a set that came with an explorer intake i purchase...but too lasy to swap them out right now