Replacing Ignition Parts - Brand/Upgrade Confusion Help

Firehawk335

May 3, 2006
Hey everybody,

Been searching through the threads but having trouble finding something more recent. I want to do a tune up on my 88 GT running what looks like pretty much original ignition parts. I replaced the spark plugs with standard autolites based on comments i could find in searches. Gapped to .054". When i was pulling the wires i realized how cracked and worn they look. So i figured i would do a replacement and then i started to get confused on if i should spend money on something like an MSD or Livewire, or go with something less expensive but still an upgrade like Ford Racing wires. I also want to replace the cap and rotor and maybe coil. My car is pretty much stock right now except for headers and bbk catted H pipe with flowmaster catback exhaust. Future upgrades planned, but starting with supporting mods like suspension first.

So with that said i am trying to weed through the advertising hype and peoples real world experiences. I was thinking a heavy duty standard accel cap and rotor. For plug wires i can't decide between the livewires, msd, and ford racing. Then for coil maybe the screamin demon?

What are your recommendations as depending on the search i do, i get that one minute something is great, then the next that it is an absolute waste of money/junk?

• Sponsors (?)

Stick with as many Motorcraft ignition parts as you can. The stock ignition is very stout and reliable. As far as wires, the Ford Racing 8mm wires are just fine. I actually have them on my 347. I have a stock distributor that I rebuilt with Motorcraft parts, stock Motorcraft coil, autolite plugs and Ford Racing 8mm wires on an aluminum headed, custom cammed 347. Aftermarket ignition parts are just hype until you go more extreme.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Most of the guys around here,run the stock distributor/Cap and coil. Even the big power guys with aftermarket blocks and power adders stick with the stock ignition/sometimes with an MSD box.

My personal experience is pretty similar, Motorsport or Accel wires are good bang for the buck

Thank everybody. You have talked me into the $40 FRPP plug wires. Think its a good idea to replace the cap, rotor, and coil with stockers due to the age, or leave it be and just replace the cracked wires?

Stick with as many Motorcraft ignition parts as you can. The stock ignition is very stout and reliable. As far as wires, the Ford Racing 8mm wires are just fine. I actually have them on my 347. I have a stock distributor that I rebuilt with Motorcraft parts, stock Motorcraft coil, autolite plugs and Ford Racing 8mm wires on an aluminum headed, custom cammed 347. Aftermarket ignition parts are just hype until you go more extreme.
Perfect advice award! Keep in mind that the perfect advice award has no monetary value.

If you have the extra money available, sure wouldnt hurt to replace the original components. If you would rather not spend the money and the car runs well, then they are probably fine until you start wanting to make more power.