replacing intake manifold at moment, have a quick question

Jbauer

Jan 20, 2008
hey guys, i'm doing the intake manifold on my 00 GT. I found coolant in the spark plug wells and ive been missing coolant myseriously for months now.

Anyway. i have the old one off, i'm waiting for my gasket to arrive at the store so i can go pick it up, but i have a quick question:

do i have to use RTV or silicone or something like that near the thermostat housing? I thought i heard that somewhere but the diy from this site i'm following doesnt show that.. i dont want to do this over again!

I'm using the Ford racing o.e replacement if that matters

• Sponsors (?)

I just used a new thermostat o-ring gasket. No RTV needed in the swap.

My 2000 GT had the same problem with coolant in the spark plug well that I discovered during the swap. Mine was the back driver's side cop. I would be losing coolant, but after the swap I haven't had a problem. I haven't checked the plug hole, but I haven't been losing coolant.

I would suggest these since you had coolant in the spark plug well, they are cheap and effective

97-06 Coil-On-Plug Boot Kit, 4.6/5.4L 2V - Black Silicone Boots With Solid Core Connector at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Awesome, thanks for the info. I should be done with the install early tomorrow afternoon as it got late today since i had to wait for gaskets to arrive from autozone

Alright, just finished up the swap. The car revs so much happier now.
I havent had a chance to drive it, i still have to modify the alternator bracket and i think i have like a lot of coolant in my oil from the swap because i am getting some crazy white smoke.
The spark plug wells for full of coolant..i couldnt figure out a way to get it out.. i just popped the plug open and let alll the coolant fall in the engine. ALL the plug wells on bank 2 were full to the top with coolant. I cant believe the car ran fine during all that. she's a trooper!

will report back with pics and after installation report in a few hours.
Thank you everyone for all the help!

Next time use a shop vac and some sweat and elbow grease to put a rag on a screwdriver to clean your wells out instead of letting it contaminate your engine...

Use some seafoam and see if you can't clean up your mess. Detail your car. Chances you sprayed other parts too...