Resonator drone

StangPhd

Jan 23, 2011
I was running a factory H pipe with Pype bombs. It was nice and loud with minimal drone to speak of around town. Cruising is not an issue as I have 4.10gears. I got a ticket for noise so I had Pypes M80s installed after the factory H. What a freakin mistake. The drone is so bad around town, I have to drive with the windows down to keep from pulling my hair out.

Will an X pipe after the factory cats help me any?

SP

2010 Mustang GT Convertible Auto
4.10 gears
C&L Racer, Brenspeed tuned
UDPs, GT500 TB

• Sponsors (?)

I bet you would still have drone even with the x-pipe and factory cats. Maybe a catted x with hi-flows would reduce the drone. I ran a catted x, resonators and slp lm. I didn't notice any drone with this set-up.

I got a ticket for noise so I had Pypes M80s installed after the factory H. What a freakin mistake. The drone is so bad around town, I have to drive with the windows down to keep from pulling my hair out.

Will an X pipe after the factory cats help me any?

Honestly this really surprises me. Locating the M80's after the factory h-pipe is almost like adding a mid-muffler, plus the fact that you have the cats still intact. These together should remove just about all the drone. Personally I don't think a x-pipe will help, but it will make the exhaust tone raspier. I don't think you have enough backpressure and this could be what's causing the drone. Probably need some mufflers installed. Just my 2 cents...

Drone fixed!

I and my late brother fixed drone in both our cars. His, an '09 Challenger with Magnaflow cat back. Mine a '10 GT with Pypes LT+X-pipe,Hi Flow metallic cats, with Corsa Axle backs. We both used CCinserts behind the Cats spot welded into the X-pipe. Drone is from little or no backpressure. reintroduce some backpressure and it goes away. The CCinserts can be trimmed/shortened/modified to suit your needs. they look like mini motorcycle muffler baffles. You'll be amazed, as was I.

p.s. about $60 each. Car Chemistry : The Science of Performance