Fox Retro guages

I really like this, but I do wish I didn’t have to splice the stock gauge wiring. I’d love someone to make one off female plugs with some leads to make this plug and play with the ability to revert back to OEM easy peasy.

Classic Dash actually has a kit just like that, for their gauge clusters, but it’s like $170. Over $1,000 bucks if you went that route... that’s a whole lotta duff cans to recycle.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I like it. I've tossed around the idea. But I currently have a florida 5.0 gauge cluster.
IMG_20200428_192608626.jpg

Attachments

• tapatalk_1555916290646.jpeg
    tapatalk_1555916290646.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Its just a knockoff Dakota Digital imo who knows how long it would last compared to the DD. I have a Dakota currently and I have no complaints except that I should have went with a Holley digital universal dash or a autometer universal digital. Just for the nicer display.

I think it replicates the original gauges fairly well, but I would spend the $900 elsewhere. I like the idea though. I wouldn’t want to splice the wiring, as mentioned above.

Last edited:
I think Dakota makes these for LMR. I like this option better than the Dakota. It looks close to original cluster. However, watch the install video. Talk about hacking up your wiring! I'm not sure why a big company like LMR or Dakota couldn't make and adapter plug to go from stock cluster plug to bare wire, considering the digital dash doesn't use the stock cluster plugs. These old harnesses are getting harder to come by.. It is a good replacement for the mediocre (at best) stock cluster though.

I really like the "idea" that they were going for in this product by trying to correct the known issue of the inaccurate gauges along with our factory clusters are just getting old. The days of just replacing the sending unit and the gauge works again are slowly decreasing the same as the ECU. Its good to see that there are options coming out to provide a cleaner solution.

The items I can't see past is for sure the price point to feature offering. I would have to agree with Noobz on this one that there really should be more features or customization available like the center LCD bigger to see more than just one reading.

Im glad that you posted this, because I like the idea of personally making a stock looking dashboard for my dash :thinking:

I think Dakota makes these for LMR. I like this option better than the Dakota. It looks close to original cluster. However, watch the install video. Talk about hacking up your wiring! I'm not sure why a big company like LMR or Dakota couldn't make and adapter plug to go from stock cluster plug to bare wire, considering the digital dash doesn't use the stock cluster plugs. These old harnesses are getting harder to come by.. It is a good replacement for the mediocre (at best) stock cluster though.

Ah...that kills the idea for me. Cutting my factory harness is a non-starter. I'd have to cut up an old cluster and make some sort of adapter harness, or 3D print one to make an adapter.

Not going to do that....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Just watched the install video and you are right it is a Dakota Digital. It should be a pretty good reliable gauge but the price is a little high. I bought the carbon and red display DD for $740

Ah...that kills the idea for me. Cutting my factory harness is a non-starter. I'd have to cut up an old cluster and make some sort of adapter harness, or 3D print one to make an adapter.

Not going to do that....
From following your specific build thread, I'd agree with you specifically since you just went over your entire harness.

At first I thought the price was high, but DD makes it. Also the backside being simplified to a single CAT5 cable makes this a lot easier to deal with (rather than the mechanical speedo cable and other stuff I have poking out of the rear now).

Its just a knockoff Dakota Digital imo who knows how long it would last compared to the DD. I have a Dakota currently and I have no complaints except that I should have went with a Holley digital universal dash or a autometer universal digital. Just for the nicer display.
It’s not a knock off, it’s quite literally made by DD. It’s largely the same offering as the existing DD setup just made to look stock and not stylized like the red/blue DD units are.

I like the idea of personally making a stock looking dashboard for my dash
Perhaps an AMOLED OLED display fit into an OEM shell. :chin

You could do the same graphics as the OEM faces and make stock/120/160 MPH selectable.

Change colors, fonts, add/remove components (shift light etc.). I mean... the hardware costs what it costs. The software could even be offered in packages with the default being the OEM.

Log into your account and download a new setup or even create your own and then download.

All for the same unit price :shrug:

I would likely run a white faced, amber lit version of the OEM display and add a shift light.

When the ignition switch is turned on, I expect to see:

hal9000.gif

at startup and:

endofline.gif

at shut down. :)

Reactions: 1 user
If it wasn't a $150 premium over the standard Dakota setup it would be more worth it, and also be on more equal footing to something like an autometer/Florida set or even the 7" holley dash that can do a lot more than this thing(especially if you have their efi)

Perhaps an AMOLED OLED display fit into an OEM shell. :chin

You could do the same graphics as the OEM faces and make stock/120/160 MPH selectable.

Change colors, fonts, add/remove components (shift light etc.). I mean... the hardware costs what it costs. The software could even be offered in packages with the default being the OEM.

Log into your account and download a new setup or even create your own and then download.

All for the same unit price :shrug:

I would likely run a white faced, amber lit version of the OEM display and add a shift light.

When the ignition switch is turned on, I expect to see:

hal9000.gif

at startup and:

endofline.gif

at shut down. :)
All of the above is able to be done.

Thank you for the ideas... Sounds like I have some work ahead of me :)

If it wasn't a $150 premium over the standard Dakota setup it would be more worth it, and also be on more equal footing to something like an autometer/Florida set or even the 7" holley dash that can do a lot more than this thing(especially if you have their efi)
The standard Dakota looks like the OEM equipment on an 87' Dodge Colt. I think the $150 is totally worth it. I'd get ED if I drove a Mustang and had to look at a standard Dakota Digital.

Kurt