Retrofited Sebring Convertible Seats

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
So I've been trying to decide what to do about replacing my lap belts with something better in my 73 mustang convertible, and I think I'm settling on retrofitting a set of Chrysler Sebring convertible Seats. They have an integrated shoulder belt and would get me around the mounting point problem that I'm facing and would add better stronger seats that recline into the stang.

I'd seen a writeup on a set installed in a 72 mustang, but I can't find it now. I actually didn't like the way the seats looked in the car because they are so big, but I'm now thinking they might be the best way to go.

Anyway here is one writeup I found where they are installed in a Corvair.

http://www.corvairkid.com/sebring.htm

What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

It looks like it would be a good solution to the shoulder harness issue, but like the article mentions- make sure your floor pan is reinforced so the seats don't pull through in an accident! You'll probably need to weld on some pretty beefy doublers to the underside of the floorpan under the rear seat rail bolts.

yeah, that's pretty ugly i gotta agree. i've seen some 3 point belt installs in a vert where they just cut a small slot in the 1/4 trim panel and ran the belts through that and had them bolted up the inside of the 1/4. i think the fox and sn-95 verts are pretty much the same way. maybe see if you can find a set of belts from one of those?

Yeah I looked at those belt systems before. That'd work, but from what I read the problem with them is that the mounting point is far below the person's shoulder when seated. That means that in an impact the could be spinal compression.

That problem is amplified by the integral head rest on the 71-73 seat design. I've looked at a few different mounting locations for the belts in my stang, but they all place the mounting point below the shoulder. So, I thought about racing seats and a 4 point harness, but they guys say that is less safe than a 3 point without a cage with a crossbar to mount the belts to because you have the same spinal compression problem if you mount them to the floor. Oh and supposedly they are not DOT legal.

One of the guys suggested the Sebring seats, and they are ugly, but would solve the mounting problem.

There are better looking seats in the 04 up Saab 9-3 convertible, but I haven't been able to find a set of those online yet. I'm sure they have some type of belt controller so I'd need to get that from the donor car as well. Maybe they'll have something like that in the junkyards around Dallas.

A single hoop bar would still leave the rear seat free, unlike a full cage. Normally there are only two additional rearward facing bars thru the rear shelf to brace the bar.