Rev Limiters

Mr Ben302

Mar 2, 2004
Can any one help me out with some info on rev limiters. I have a 1990 5.0L LX and I would like to limit how much i turn it. I've heard that there is a factory limiter. Is that true? If there is what is it set at? Where could I find a limiter if I don't already have one? I'm afraid I'm going to turn her too hard and have one big mess...

• Sponsors (?)

yep. i also heard the factory limiter is 6,250rpms.
i bought a wonderful MSD ignition setup. my MSD Digital-6 Plus ignition box has a 2 stage rev limiter. i have the normal stage set at 5,500rpms. i never even crank it that high anyways. but its adjustable from 2,000rpms to 13,500rpms. ive tested the 2k one :) works great. very accurate.

with the cheaper model msd boxes you have to buy rev limiter 'pills' little fuse type chips to plus into the box for different rev limiter settings. if you only need one setting this would be fine for you. but mines just a little knob i adjust with a tiny screwdriver. in 500rpm incriments. its nice

I run a crane hi-6 ignition and it has an adjustable limiter on it, goes up to 10K in 100 rpm increments. You can even run the limiter on a switch to use it as a stage limiter (two step), i like it a lot.

as i recall, the factory limiter cuts fuel, not ignition. that is not cool. nothing better than being at WOT at redline and having the fuel cut down. if you think you are going to bump the limiter, do the ignition box and set it for 6200. just my two cents. good luck.