Right-Rear Rattle - Help me identify what is rattling!!!

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
Hey guys. I have posted a couple times about this, but in a different format (more along the lines of exhaust questions). Now I have my exhaust all setup, and my car is buzzing/rattling like CRAZY!

I have a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the right-rear side of the car. It is a buzz more than a rattle I would say, and I ONLY hear it around the drone point from the exhaust. I do not hear it on rough roads or anything bumpy, so it HAS to be coming from the sound of the exhaust.

Does anyone here know what might be rattling? That is my whole problem - I cannot FIND THE BUZZ! I have no idea what it is. I've thought it was the lock in the trunk, the exhaust itself, something in the rear interior, possibly something in the plastic box in the trunk that the Mach rear woofers are in....

Does anyone know what it might possibly be? I am going NUTS over this!

• Sponsors (?)

Need more help! Exhaust still causing horrible rattle. What else should I check?

My exhaust is pretty solid. I had a shop do it, and the guy does great work. It is welded to the car, not just bolted on. It doesn't move at all, plus the tips are welded in as well. I have rolled tips, so I didn't use the MAC tips.

I'm 99.9% sure the exhaust itself isn't touching anything. If the problem is in the exhaust, then it is probably something internal, such as one of the mufflers, and nothing I can do about that but get new ones. I don't THINK that is the problem, but who knows. I'm at a loss. :bang: :bang: :bang:

The buzzing SOUNDS like something either in my trunk or the rear glass of the car. It only happens at the drone range. I have taken everything loose out of my car, so it has to be an actual part of the car that is buzzing. That is the best way for me to describe the sound, too - a loud buzz, similar to something buzzing in your office or house when the drone of a big truck goes by outside. It is definitely a harmonic imbalance going on somewhere!

Other symptoms:
1 - It started about 1 month after I had my MAC put on. Before that, the MAC sounded great, the car didn't rattle. Nothing was messed with between those points - something has gradually come loose over time from the harmonic imbalance of the drone.

2 - It seems to be affected by weather, and POSSIBLY the car being warmed up or not. I think this is directly related to the drone again though. The car drones more when it is cold, so therefore I tend to get a lot more buzz/rattle when the car is cold than warm.

What possible things could be rattling? I need input for things inside and outside of the car, mainly near the right rear quarter of the car. Spoiler, trunk lock, mach box, amps, etc. ANYTHING anyone can think of! I'm getting pretty desperate. :bang: I already tried the things I just mentioned, except I'm not sure exactly how to get into the mach speaker box in the back to see if it is something in there.

Thanks for all your help!

I had the same prob w/mine! There was a noise that I could not figure out and it was only when my rpms went past 2K. Turns out there was a piece of metal in my spare tire compartment and that would rattle at higher rpms. It might not be your problem but the rattling also drove me NUTS :bang: for about 2 months. Who knows! check out all your equipment back there.

Mine does the SAME thing! Same buzzing sound at drone rpm's. I also have a buzzing sound up in my radio area that just started last week. :bang: I HATE it! I know it's the exhaust causing a vibration but I can't find the problem either.

I have the same rattle coming from the right rear. Although I haven't tried to isolate it yet because it only shows up at start up in cold weather. Then it seems to disappear. My initial vote would be the seatbelts or the rear window trim/window itself.

Mine rattle in the rear driver side for a little while. I finally looked under there and realized that when I cut my tailpipes off, the mufflers shifted to the driver side some, and were knocking against the body. It knocked like CRAZY!! I just forced it over on the hangers and haven't had a problem since. Another thought, your spare tire hanger, the piece that goes up through the jack and the wingnut threads onto, it might be flapping around, or maybe your crowbar. Or maybe your rear swaybar snapped like mine did, it snapped right where it bolts to the control arm on the passenger side. Hopefully this helps, good luck man.

I'm going to take everything out of the rear today and test drive and see what happens.

I ordered a Magnaflow Topline catback to smooth out my sound too. I really like the way Magnaflow sounds!

Hopefully it is something I can find in there. I don't want it to be something in my rear speaker box. That would suck, because it looks like it would be a real pain to get into. :(