Right wheel grinding on metal when turning hard right.

JimS1990

Feb 16, 2020
Ohio
1990 saleen resurrection 20 plus years since driven daily. First thing new tow it to the shop for new tires, same size tires put on.

Test drive home turning hard right huge grinding on the right wheel. Actually cut metal of the inner part of the wheel. I assume it hitting the lower control arm. HELP why

• Sponsors (?)

I would be curious as to what has been replaced on the front end of the car. There are rack limiters available to keep the wheel from hitting the rear of the control arm. Are the wheels the stock wheels or aftermarket?

They are stock 5 lug wheels that were standard equipment on the 90 saleen. Nothing has changed on the front end since it was a daily car back in 92. As I said changed tires and this popped up.

Left turn is not an issue with the front left wheel only the right side on a hard right turn. I mean it will stop the car at slow speed.

Nick - front right wheel.

My two wild ass guesses...

#1 - The control arm bushings are worn out and allowing the control arm to slop into the wheel.

#2 - The steering rack limiter is plastic and broke or disintegrated. This would be especially possible if the rack has leaked and filled the rack bellows with fluid which destroyed the plastic.