Rotisserie restoration frustration

ok, I'm probably just whining here..... but this is either the 2nd or 3rd week (lost track) that i've been going out to garage every day averaging 6hrs of stripping and I'm maaaaaayyyyybbbeeeee halfway done. for those results you would think I was using a toothbrush and toothpaste, but I've been alternateing between sandblasting(pressurized tank type)... aircraft stripper (with razorblade scraper)... and heavy duty wire wheel............if it takes another 6wks it'll still be worth it but------is there a better way short of a professional 300cfm sandblaster or a dip tank?

• Sponsors (?)

The restoration process took three years for my BOSS 9, seven months of which , were spent on the rotisserie. Hang in there!

chassis4.jpg

I've found the aircraft stripper along with a roloc/scotchbrite pad on a die grinder works best to strip paint. I've got about half of the exterior of my 65 coupe done in a 8 hour day. Sandblasting does take tons longer, and i'd onlydo it on the floor pans and chassis. I've found that you do have to use a lot of the aircraft stripper. And it works best when you dab it on using a brush instead of applying it by brushing/stroking it on. I usually have to apply it 3 times on a panel prior to takign the stripping disc to it. (at this point it's mostly metal except for several small spots of paint still on)

Although mine isn't a rotisserie job, I my car is stripped to the shell and finally in final (I hope) pimer, ready for a second round of block sanding, so I can relate to your wondering if it will ever be done. But here's my thinking at this point: I do not want to do this twice, or have a half assed job because I got in a hurry. Therefore I take my time, and if I get to the point of feeling burned out, I simply take a couple days (or a week) off. The car's not going anywhere and it is just a hobby, so why kill yourself over it? But I have this fear of the car never getting done and me losing enthusiasm, so I plug along doing a bit here and there. I try to make it out to the shop everyday to do something, even if it's just to clean the shop. By doing this I'm not rushing through everything, and it will get done. I also keep a journal of the progress, which I update when I do something significant. That way, when I feel like it's never going to be done, I can go back and read what I've done and realize that I am indeed making progress. Money has been my big holdup, so since I have more time than money, I try to get the free things done, like block sanding until it's perfect, or cleaning parts. Also, go to a local car show sometime to help you see the level of quality you need to acheive to be on par these days. There are some very talented guys out there, and you don't want your car to stick out because you got in a hurry and simply threw it back together do you? Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. :D

65stanger said:
A restoration done right, is a long process!
If it will make you feel any better, I wish I had a rotisserie, HECK, I wish I had a garage to work in! I'm trying to do mine in a narrow gravel driveway!

Keep at it, it will be well worth it once you've completed it!:nice:

I feel ya! I have a cement drive way, but in this Georgia heat and odd @$$ weather it isn't much better (rains 5 minutes after the weather man declares it a dry day and stops 30 minutes later only to start an hour after that and continue for the rest of the day...yeah that was wednesday for me!) I pray daily for a garage.

MCABOSS said:
The restoration process took three years for my BOSS 9, seven months of which , were spent on the rotisserie. Hang in there!

chassis4.jpg

Oh grabber orange.. I love it, what a badass color for a badass car. Im going to do a Calypso Coral 69 mach 1 when Im done with my 65. These are my 2 alltime favorite mustang colors.

FYI, some of the paint strippers work better if they are wet. I was having a bitch of a time stripping a 56 T-bird in my driveway years ago, and about half way threw the day it started drizzling and the paint was running off the car. So I set up a sparay bottle with water and used it to dampen the stripper and it worked great. You may want to try it.

Theres a guy in town here whos the original owner of a Grabber Orange Boss 302, Hes got photos of him holding the keys in front of the car at the dealer on delivery and a box full of paperwork and articles from 1970. The cars got 26,000 miles on it and its never seen rain and never had ANY work done anywhere on it... looks like the day he bought it. Ive offered $30k for it and it didnt raise an eyebrow.. It'll be his till death...lol Id rather restore one anyway, it adds to the pride.

why not just contract the work out to a guy with a portable soda blasting set up or rent one. Since the car is on a rotesserie, a soda blasting unit could take it all down to bare metal in under a hour. Clean up is nice and easy to, just turn the hose loose on it and wash it, let it dry well, take your blow gun and blow out the crevises real well then etch prime the car. Striped my whole car from top to bottom and primed it inside and out in one day using a soda blaster.

$$$ was the issue as far as stripping... I'm happy to say though that in the past day or two I've made some real progress, dont know how exactly since I've worked the same but I guess that's just how it goes :) ....about 25% left to strip and now that I'm excited about it again I might have it done in the next week or two :)