rough idle, engine shake, max RPM 3000

Hey if anybody can help me out i would appreciate it. I have a 1995 5.0L it has a rough idle, the engine shakes, and it won't go above 3000RPM. So far I've replaced all the spark plugs and wires, exhaust manifold gaskets, and the ignition control module.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey if anybody can help me out i would appreciate it. I have a 1995 5.0L it has a rough idle, the engine shakes, and it won't go above 3000RPM. So far I've replaced all the spark plugs and wires, exhaust manifold gaskets, and the ignition control module.

Since you've just done some work on your ignition system:

1. Make sure you DO have the correct firing order. Remember that the distributor rotor turns counterclockwise, and the cylinders are numbered 1-4 on the passenger side and 5-8 on the driver's side.

View attachment 265083

2. Make sure you don't have any plug wires arcing on the header tubes. This will be more obvious if you have the hood open and the engine idling when it's dark outside.

3. Check the timing.

Yeah, I'd almost bet money there are two wires crossed. My old boss used to use a test light to check it. He'd ground it out and push the test light into each plug wire boot on the top of the distributor. If the cylinder is firing, you'll hear it run differently when you push the test light in. If there's no change, that cylinder isn't firing and is probably crossed with another.

theres a bracket that is by the balancer by the crank pulley. as the numbers on the balancer go around they line up with the bracket, thats your timing then. do a search to learn more about changing your timing.

I just bought a 94 cobra that was 100% stock with 154K miles. It idled fine, and rev'd nice and smooth until it got to 4000rpms and then it just stopped. It was way down on power and felt choked above 4000. I too had a clogged cat. My front passenger side cat had come apart and it was in pieces in front of the rear cat blocking that bank of the engine from being able to flow. I put an offroad X pipe that I had laying around on it and it completely fixed the problem. Did you have the H pipe off when you put the manifold gaskets on? Did you hear anything rattling in it?

I will add that it sounds like a timing issue to me though as others have stated.

I just bought a 94 cobra that was 100% stock with 154K miles. It idled fine, and rev'd nice and smooth until it got to 4000rpms and then it just stopped. It was way down on power and felt choked above 4000. I too had a clogged cat. My front passenger side cat had come apart and it was in pieces in front of the rear cat blocking that bank of the engine from being able to flow. I put an offroad X pipe that I had laying around on it and it completely fixed the problem. Did you have the H pipe off when you put the manifold gaskets on? Did you hear anything rattling in it?

I will add that it sounds like a timing issue to me though as others have stated.

That happened to my car too. One of the front cats popped, and the crap went downstream and blocked the back too. Took me forever to figure out what was wrong with the car. It would run so hot you could cook a steak on the manifold.

Kurt