Running a Self Test

Beakster

Feb 4, 2010
Hi,

I have just got a 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX with a 4.6L V8 Running EEC-V management.

I have connected my laptop to it using a cheap OBD2 to USB cable from Ebay, and run a few programs. I can see there are no fault codes and see some of the engines parameters.

What I would like to do is run a self test. I used to have a Ford Granada Cosworth which ran EEC-IV management and it was possible to do KOER and KOEO tests on this by shorting a pin on the self test connector.

How can I run similar tests with EEC-V? I noticed in the glove box there is a connector which says "ARK/EVO Test" and it looks like a Self Test Output connector according the Ford Fuel Injection site. Do I need to sort some pins on this connector? Or is it possible to start a self test running from my laptop?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Unless I am really mistaken, the KOER and KOEO tests are activated by the scan tool. Not all scan tools are capable of accessing.

Are you trying to diagnose a specific problem or just "testing" a new tool?

Congrats on the new car. I happen to be a Cougar/Thunderbird fan myself.

Unless I am really mistaken, the KOER and KOEO tests are activated by the scan tool. Not all scan tools are capable of accessing.

Are you trying to diagnose a specific problem or just "testing" a new tool?

Congrats on the new car. I happen to be a Cougar/Thunderbird fan myself.

Hi,

So I've done a bit more investigating... I am not trying to diagnose a problem, the car runs fine, I'm just curious. :)

Only my old EEC-IV Granada Cosworth the KOER test did things like checking all the relays switched, and measuring compression, so it would be nice if I could get this test running on my new Thunderbird.

I found this link Running KOEO, KOER using a generic scantool (ELM327) - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"® where they talk about which codes to send to initiate such a test.

It all seems a bit over complicated just to do something which could be done by shorting a wire on the EEC-IV.

It seems the software I am using cannot initiate these test (unless I specifically send the codes). Also there is a procedure to follow, having the car in the right gear, pressing the pedals when certain lights flash to test things like Park sensor, TPS etc.

Where can I find this proceedure documented?
Does anyone know software capable of running these tests?
What is the ARK/EVO Test connector in my glove box for? It looks just like the STO connector here: Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test

Thanks

I think you are seeing the reason that not all scan tools support the tests. It is actually a dialog between the PCM, the scan tool, and the operator. It is not just a simple matter of sending a "special" code and the PCM starts the test.

As for your queston about why it is not simple like it was for EEC-IV. Think about the fundamental differences between EEC-IV and EEC-V. Namely with regards to the continious monitoring, number of sytems monitored, number of sensors used, and speed of monitoring. EEC-IV would command that a valve to be open and would assume that it would. Where as EEC-V actually confirms that the valve performs as commanded.

Look at how many more DTC codes are possible with EEC-V. Could you image trying to count blinks for 8 or 9 codes like EEC-IV did? Talk about a nightmare.

Add to the equation is the model year to model year changes that occur and it is easy to see how this becomes a programming nightmare. Hence the reason most home/hobby tools just avoid the issue all together.

With regards to the KOER and KOEO tests, my scan tool does not support them. However, it does support monitoring of operational data. I suspect as you explore the scan tool, you will be suprised at what can be accomplished by monitoring operational data, pulling trouble DTC's, data logging, and freeze frames.