S-197 "power rules"

X95

Nov 14, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
I am doing some research on the new mustangs, looking to move into one maybe next year, but in the mean time I want to learn what I can. Right now however I wanted to know if there are any general rules as far as performance limitations of the drivetrain and such. Things like the block can hold xx hp, the tranny holds xxx, the rear end xx, those kinds of things. Obviously I know different things are contributing factors, but I know there are still general rules like these.

• Sponsors (?)

I heard that 500HP is feasible on stock internals with a good tune but not recommended. Of course any time you put more power on a stock clutch you're going to be scaling down its life.

Pretty much if you get any major supercharger kit available which will put you at 475HP or less you're going to be ok if installed and tuned correctly but I'd look at getting a new clutch asap.

450 rwhp seems to be the same point concerning the stock block and internals.

Clutch really depends on how you drive it. Rear end? I've seen a TON of people with stock rear ends pushing 500+ rwhp with no problems.

The rods are the weak spot of the motor.

The clutch will probably go first but it isn't unheard to throw a rod at the 450 RWHP mark. It happens with boost. But a lot depends on the tune and the driving habits.

Others are right around 500 RWHP with no problems........yet.