S480?

I’m building a a4 block with a 331 stroker mated to a t56 magnum plan on running a 4.10 gear with a 28” rear tire. my question is do u think a borg Warner s480 will keep me in boost with the manual trans or is there a better turbo for this application.

• Sponsors (?)

I’m building a a4 block with a 331 stroker mated to a t56 magnum plan on running a 4.10 gear with a 28” rear tire. my question is do u think a borg Warner s480 will keep me in boost with the manual trans or is there a better turbo for this application.
No, there's a better transmission for that application if you want to stay in boost..
You're either flat foot speed shifting a manual, or you're lifting between shifts. When my foot comes off the throttle, the BOV opens and vents boost to atmosphere. I'd imagine that's gonna happen regardless of how freakin big the turbo is.

If you're building a drag car, why would you do it with a manual?

Reactions: 1 user
Mike stated some good points . For a turbo car I think you have WAY to much gear . 3.55 or even a 3.27 would be way better . To stay in boost you will have to no lift shift it or have some kind of rolling anti lag .

Making power with a stick car and beating it up at the track is hell on the drive train . Been there before . S480 would definitely make some good power . Cam will also play a slight roll in how this thing spools and behaves as well

Thanks for your input. I was told from pro motion to run that gear. First gear is 2.66 I currently have a 373 rear so I’ll stay with that and see how it is before I change anything. The t56 I bought is getting cryo treatment and rem polishing and should be able to handle some abuse. Everyone I know is telling me to go auto but I’m not trying to be the fastest at the track, just wanna have fun driving the car. And slightly scare the :poo: outta myself.

Thanks for your input. I was told from pro motion to run that gear. First gear is 2.66 I currently have a 373 rear so I’ll stay with that and see how it is before I change anything. The t56 I bought is getting cryo treatment and rem polishing and should be able to handle some abuse. Everyone I know is telling me to go auto but I’m not trying to be the fastest at the track, just wanna have fun driving the car. And slightly scare the :poo: outta myself.
You will deff achieve your goals . I had a blast at 600 plus to the tire with my 5 speed . Finally went built AOD . So we’ll see what happens . Turbo car I still think it’s gonna destroy the tire unless you kill the boost down low on the street with that rear gear . None the less it will be a blast